xvi - Confronting the Ambiguity

Start from the beginning

I misspoke. I don't want to tell him what happened.

Although right about now I'd give anything to see someone other than Kid right now..

"Uh–Alright, see ya soon."

Click!

The hollow sound of Usopp hanging up was all I was left with. I crawled to the edge of my bed, peeking through the small sliver of my curtains that allowed me to see Kid's driveway. He leaned against his car, looking from his phone to the sidewalk.

I felt my shoulders get hot again.

"Snap out of it," I spoke to myself, lightly slapping my cheeks to try and dissipate some of the heat from my head.

I got dressed while avoiding eye contact with virtually anything. It was a bright haze of fabric trying to see past my phone, the window, or any reflective surface.

I didn't even look in the mirror while brushing my teeth. I wanted to quietly forget I existed for at least the next hour.

Then a muffled vrummm started outside.

I peaked through my curtains again to see Kid drive off down the road. As he left my sight at the end of the block, Usopp's little orange Miata pulled into my driveway.

I sighed out a small twinge of reluctance.

Beats the former I guess..

I tried not to keep Usopp waiting, as he did kind of come out of his way to come here and get me after I had the dream..

And he doesn't even know why he had to come out!

"Thank you so much for being such a good friend."

Usopp smiled as I settled into the seat next to him,

"No problem, now why aren't you riding with your booooooyfriend?"

"Hey, it's not–bwe-bweep!"

A sound from my lap made me reluctantly look at my phone for the first time since I called my long nosed friend.

=====𝚝𝚎𝚡𝚝 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚟𝚒𝚎𝚠 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚔𝚒𝚍𝚍𝚘 🙃=====

kiddo 🙃:
message me when you can.

=====𝚝𝚎𝚡𝚝 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚟𝚒𝚎𝚠 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚔𝚒𝚍𝚍𝚘 🙃=====

kiddo 🙃:
hope you're okay.

=====𝚙𝚑𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚕𝚘𝚌𝚔𝚎𝚍=====

'hope you're okay'?

"Oh god."

"Is that your booooooooyfriend?," Usopp sang, pulling out onto Arlong Avenue.

"He's not my boyfriend yet!"

Oh god.

Usopp slammed on brakes as we approached an intersection.