forty-two

your head throbs as you lean into the railing of the balcony, events from earlier playing in your head.

[flashback]

"what is it?" you fix yourself in your chair, craning your neck to the side as you mindlessly stir your drink at hand.

"i was going to ask if you would be interested in child support?" oikawa asks, licking his lips as he waits for you to speak.

you bat your eyes, making sure you heard it right. "did you just say child support?" you repeat confirming if you heard that right. "like you're willing to pay for the kids?"

"i am. but i want something in exchange." his voice is hesitant, feet bouncing up and down. you look at him, raising a brow at what he's about to say.

"what is it?"

"i won't ask for anything extravagant, but maybe just permit to have some times with the kids or even half of the custody, please."

"any troubles?" sakusa is walking up behind you, hands in the pockets of his hoodie. you look behind you, eyeing his facial expressions before turning back to the city view.

"minor issues, 's all." you tell him, not wanting to drag him into your issues. he stares at you and silently studies your body language. "how was your day?" you ask, trying to shift the topic.

thankfully he does read that you don't want any conflict at the moment, so he does follow the topic while he continues to eye you. "fine. there's a few changes in the team, and some other things that are yet to be said. what about yours?"

"we finished early today... and i met up with oikawa." he raises a brow, looking back at your direction at the mention of your ex's name.

"oikawa? what did you two do?" you heave a sigh, placing the back of your hand to your cheek. you know that he trusts you of course he does, there's no doubt. but there's just something with oikawa that rubs him the wrong way.

"he discussed some things with me. you know, the norm. nothing out of the blue." you aren't lying, it's nothing out of your hands, but the topic you and oikawa talked about custody never leaves your lips, as if your brain is trying to shut it out.

"did he do anything stupid?" sakusa asks you. you slightly scrunch your face at him, running your tongue against the roof of your mouth.

"would you be jealous if he did?" you let a cheeky smirk appear on your face, keeping your eyes at him to see if he would show any kind of action.

sakusa shrugs his shoulder, keeping his calm to avoid any emotion. "i would be lying if i said no." he says casually.

you snort at him moving closer to his side. "so does that mean you'd actually be jealous if he did something other than talk?" you say.

he heaves a sigh, moving his hand to your shoulder pulling you closer to close the space between you both. he presses his hand on your cheek and softly moves your head to rest on his shoulder.

"yes (Y/N). i will be jealous."

— — —

oikawa slams the door behind him, entering his apartment with a low growl. frustration filled tears rim his eyes, as he paces around the door way.

"fuck!" he yells punching the wall. he doesn't feel the impact at all— maybe it's the adrenaline and frustration— but he can see the hole he made on the wall. there's an obvious drip of blood on the wall that came from his knuckles.