thirty-six

"don't jump in yet- never mind." you place your towel on the table nearby the pool. surprisingly- well not really- none of your neighbours came up to the pool today, you're were nearly sure they would because of the power outage, but maybe the didn't want to.

bunch of wussies.

"jiro, don't forget to place your phone on the table. you're going to get it wet." sakusa is the one to speak taking you aback. jiro, on the other hand, simply nods and places his phone on the table causing you to smile.

"you sound like their father, omi." you say teasingly. sakusa simply snorts, mumbling something you didn't catch.

"what did you say?"

"nothing. just get your sun screen on." he says, throwing you the bottle of sunscreen. you unsteadily catch the bottle, fumbling with it.

"atsumu is on his way by the way. they said they were going to pick up some food and a portable charger." he says fixing the umbrella. you simply hum a response, arranging the table.

"aren't you going to swim with us?" you ask with a small pout on your lips, attempting to maybe convince the man- but he doesn't look at you, somewhat avoiding your gaze.

"no. i don't want the circulating germs of the water." he says, grabbing the small wipe and wiping down the plastic pipe of the umbrella.

"oh, so if oikawa was to-"

"give me the sunscreen bottle."

your snort at his pettiness, handing him the bottle as you spread the cream all down your hands to your feet, making sure every crevice is cleaned out.

"how deep is the pool?" he asks you, spreading the cream through his pumped arms.

"not sure. jiro! how deep is the pool?" you call out your son who's stomach deep into the pool. he eyes you for a bit before stepping in a bit deeper into the pool.

"just about enough to drown someone." he responds. you nod at him, pretending to not be affected by his answer.

"what was that supposed to mean?" sakusa asks, slightly concerned.

"it means it's just enough to make you float and enough to make you drown, which basically concludes that it's just around my waist line." you say with a small smile.

"that sentence was grammatically correct, but it's wordy and hard to understand."

"jesus christ, atsumu." you mumble underneath your breath, holding your heart. he simply chuckles placing his hands on your shoulders.

"heyo." he greets with a sheepish smile. sakusa frowns at the man, not impressed by his sudden appearance.

"where are the others?" you ask him, looking behind you. he bops your nose with his finger and walks to the curly man instead.

"getting chips and stuff." he says pulling out his phone from his pocket. sakusa remains silent, awfully silent, just standing there without doing anything.

"tsumu!" sakura is first to notice the blond man, running up to him with her wet arms in the open. atsumu chuckles at the girl, bending down to receive her wet hug.

"there's my favourite girl. how's you been honey boo?" he asks the girl, placing his hand on her back. you coo at the sight before re-averting your attention back to the man in front of you.

"is there something bothering you?" you ask the eerily silent man. he looks at you then shakes his hand with a sigh, sitting down on the cleaned chair behind him.