martini cup

Today marks three entire weeks that Lukas has been away from his job. After the day that Chris and I went out, he didn't show up to work anymore. Every single day, I wait for him to pick me up at 8:30. He isn't there of course and it leaves me surprisingly, disappointed and worried.

I feel like I should know why he's out. I am his personal assistant. Ever since Chris and I went out on our lunch break, it became our thing.

We've been going out everyday for the past couple of weeks to different places comparing cheeseburgers to the one we had at Five Guys. So far nobody has beaten them.

Chris has also become bolder now, sometimes reaching for my hands or touching me around my waist. Thinking back to how I thought he was this wholesome guy the first time I met him, I'm starting to think he's just like every other man, just a bit nicer.

Maybe too nice.

Chris and I settled for Steak N' Shake today. I dip a fry into my vanilla milkshake and bite into it, humming at the taste.

Sweet and savory.

My mom used to do this every time she had ice cream and fries together. Chris shakes his head at me smiling, "That's weird. How did you even come up with that combination?"

"My mom" I reply. "She used to mix and match different types of food" I smile, "My personal favorite would be a honeybun with a slice of cheese laid on top."

"I've never heard of anything like that before" Chris' face scrunches up. "Tell me more about your mother. Is she doing alright?"

I freeze up. I'm okay with talking about the good parts of my mother. But when I'm asked to talk about her death, everything falls apart.

I have to give him an answer though.

She was a good person before the prostitution, the alcohol, and the drugs. She was a great person before the abuse and the tears she caused me.

"She's doing great." I say looking down, not wanting to ruin the mood by telling him that she's dead.

"Well, what about your father?" Chris asks, "How is he?"

"I actually haven't seen him in a while." I reply. Which is true. I take a bite out of my double-cheeseburger.

Yeah, this burger doesn't even begin to compare to Five Guys.

After a while of comfortable silence Chris speaks again, "How about dinner tonight?"

At this, I drop the fry I'm munching on. "As in a date?" I ask, with a smile appearing on my face. Chris watches my small grin and starts to smile.

"Yes. As in a date beautiful." he says finally, moving his hand across the table to rub circles on the top of my hand. Butterflies flutter in my stomach, and I can't help but to break out into a smile.

"Of course." The smile doesn't leave my face all throughout lunch.

---

The rest of the day shoots by in a breeze as my anticipation builds up for Chris and I's date tonight. It doesn't even seem like hours before I'm at home, rummaging through my clothes and talking to Hannah over video chat.

"I miss you" she pouts.

I show her the yellow, fluffy dress I have on that kind of looks like it was made for Easter Sunday. She shakes her head no. "I miss you too."