meeting again

I wake up to the sound of my alarm and the blinding hot sun shining into my eyes. I scramble my hands on the nightstand trying to mute the sharp ringing that the sound causes in my ears.

"Fuck." I roll out of bed begrudgingly, my heels scraping my dark brown oak floors. My head feels ten times heavier and I'm struggling to hold it up. I walk over to my green drapery curtains to shut the shine away. But I figure that I shouldn't when I see the rainbow that adorns the sky.

I've always loved rainbows.

Red. Orange. Yellow. Green. Blue. Purple.

They're the most beautiful colors. I guess that is why I can't stand to see them go away.

Dad used to say rainbows meant that better was coming. He used to read me Bible verses at night even though he didn't believe in spirituality. I liked that. No, not that he read the verses to me, but that even if he couldn't find faith he still gave me a chance at it. Believing, I mean.

He allowed me to make my own mind. I won't say that I do believe, because I don't. But I still appreciate it. Sometimes I can even hear his voice whispering to me as I fall asleep.

Sometimes it sounds way too real.

8:54 A.M

The reception hall isn't as hectic as usual. I stop to talk to Diana.

She's a middle-aged woman, around her fifties with blonde hair that is starting to streak white and warm brown eyes, which reflect her spirit.

She's wearing her glasses, which seem to be carved into her features from her wearing them so often. Diana looks just as stressed as always. "Good morning, darling."

Her voice sounds shaky and tired as she begins again. "Mr. Jackson said he'd like to speak with you as soon as possible."

I groan, my shoulders drooping down the tiniest bit. "Hi Diana." I smile, "Bye Diana."

She laughs, but I don't.

Philip Jackson.

He's brooding, overbearing, and egotistical. The type of man that gets what he wants, and if he doesn't get what he wants nobody does.

I rejected him a few weeks ago. After that, he started to get onto me for the tiniest of mistakes. He even went so far as to increase my workload. He's just one of those guys who can't take no as an answer.

His eyes are already trained on the door waiting for me to come in. When I turn back around after I close the door, I catch him scanning my legs. His eyes linger on my body even after that. He stops extra long on my breasts and hips, and doesn't care if I watch him do it or not. I shudder at the sight, wanting to shrink away from his gaze.

He gestures his hand to the seat across from his desk and I sit. "Miss Brooks," he starts, waiting for me to get situated in the chair "I'm just going to cut straight to the point.

Philip starts to fidget with his hands on his desk, "I've found someone to fill in your job as secretary. I think it's about time to let you go."

I'm shocked at the news, I wouldn't be surprised if my eyebrows are shooting towards the ceiling. "What did I do wrong?"

He laughs, seemingly pleased that I'm interested in him firing me. "Legally, I do not need a reason. You are subject to at-will employment, and I reserve the right to fire you at any time I choose."