"Thank you." His response was soft and he was avoiding eye contact with her.

"It's okay to relax here. It's a lot to take in huh?" Katie voiced as she took a bite of her own breakfast.

"This is a very high level of kindness that I never expected to receive. I'm sorry if I seem standoffish. You and Bryan are doing so much for me," he returned.

"You're a dear friend to our little brother. That's all that matters."

Shaun paused in eating and turned to Katie. "I now have a home. The Johnsons are taking care of my scholarship. Thanks to Marielle and Charisse, I can now finish school online and have a high school diploma. On top of that, you and Bryan are keeping your home open to me for my college years and beyond. That's a lot."

"It is a lot but it's all coming from the heart and given to someone Elijah, of all persons, holds in high regard. You know how little his circle is and his trust level is limited. He considers you someone worthy of his undying friendship. You know him as well as the others," Katie said, pausing also.

"You're right. I've witnessed his evasion of those who wanted a quick friendship for benefits and how closed off after that drama with Bree. He's selective. I'm still shocked that he sees me as one of his close friends. It feels good to have people on my side. Derek betrayed me in the worst way possible and now has so many people against me. My mother and my sister....." he stopped and heaved a heavy sigh filled with sadness and disbelief. 
"I guess I no longer have blood family," he muttered but Katie heard. 

The two resumed eating in companionable silence, each thinking of their future.

"Elijah made a selfish request," Shaun said aloud with a little laugh.

"That sounds like something he will do. What was it?"

"To live long enough to see him married with kids and get invites to vacation getaways."

Katie laughed at the double request her little brother gave. "Well, you gotta grant him that request. Knowing how the Johnson brood works, it's more like an order than a request."

Shaun gave her the brightest smile she has ever seen on his face during the past few days. 

"I don't mind living for a friend."

                                                                              **********

Across town, settling in his office for the new workday, Thaddeus Lincoln was seated behind his desk looking out the large window. His office was situated downtown, in the midst of many businesses. Everyone was either connected in a professional relationship or from out of town looking for a new start. He came to Spencer with his family as a new contractor under Eli Johnson's construction company. It was an opportunity he couldn't give up and it turned out to be a great decision. After years of working under the Johnson company, he was given the chance to establish his business. 
He's now the boss of fifty employees with building contracts coming in from Spencer and neighboring towns. On occasion, Eli will refer clients to him which helped his business grow. The referrals, the professionalism, and the satisfaction after each job made his company name bloom.

It was a good thing in his life to have his own business, being his own boss but other parts of his life fell apart. His eldest son, Russell became egotistical and became a nuisance in the neighborhood, known for being a heartless womanizer. It wasn't a surprise to him when a young girl and her family pressed charges against him for the unthinkable- rape. The specifics of it all translated to Thaddeus as his son letting his ego rule his actions. He did his all to get his son out on bail without his mother's support but failed. 
Bree became rebellious even when she was in a relationship with Elijah. In his mind, he saw the kid as a good influence on those around him but Bree was hiding a side of her from everyone. Recently it was shown to the public. 
As a father, the failure and disappointment resonated in his soul to witness on a daily two of his children destroying themselves. It reached a level that he had to claim defeat. 
Only one child proved to him that he was still an exceptional father. It pains him when his second son's words came back to mind. Raymond as a middle child was very observant. He was mindful of his older brother and watchful of his younger sister. He was the one who heard the fights between his parents and found out the truth about their family.