- 𝐑𝐄𝐃𝐄𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐃 -

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 - 𝐭𝐰𝐨

【。_。】 . 【。_。】

A couple weeks had passed since the arrest of Korekiyo Shinguji, and after trial, conviction, and the culprit thrown away into prison with a life sentence above his head, Shuichi was finally called back to his uncle's station to talk as Shuichi was told.

To say... it wasn't extremely awkward and nervous to be back where he used to work would be a lie. Shuichi had to pep talk himself the entire time in the car until he got there. And even still he felt the feeling of dread linger inside him. Back when he was going through with his plan to capture Korekiyo, Shuichi had messaged his uncle to tune into a certain channel and set it up where the cops could watch the whole show go down via the camera Shuichi had hidden on his clothes, but honestly wasn't sure if his uncle would watch because Shuichi wasn't sure if he would still read any text messages he sent him. After all, back after Shuichi was fired, whenever he tried to cal his uncle he never got a reply or a call back.

But he took a deep breath, clutching the front of his shirt before he finally stepped inside the police station.

Things didn't change much. Besides maybe a new houseplant or two Shuichi noticed as he walked to the front desk, though no explanation was needed since he already knew everyone there, and everyone there knew him— and seemed just as awkward talking to Shuichi as Shuichi was talking to his old colleagues.

"Your uncle is in his office. Erm.. he knows you're coming so don't worry.." an officer explained as he led Shuichi around the building and stopped in front of a door.

"..Shuichi-kun," the officer rubbed the back of his neck. "All of us... we all saw what you did when you faced Shinguji, and about you being fired, we're really sor–"

"N-No. I should be sorry. I made a mistake. I deserved my punishment," Shuichi quickly intervened, shaking his head. He smiled awkwardly. "Now I.. just need to apologize to my uncle personally.." he added quietly with a soft sigh afterwards.

The officer nodded, understanding and left, leaving Shuichi alone as he knocked on the door, and after hearing a familiar tone reply "Come in.", he opened the door and went in.

For the first time in months, Shuichi finally saw his uncle. The older Saihara was sitting back in a leather chair behind his desk, his serious expression never faded, even when Shuichi came into the room, but his tense golden gaze locked onto his nephew's eyes, earning a small stare down for a moment.

"Sit down."

Shuichi listened and sat on the chair provided for him that was in front of the desk, across from his uncle's.

"Korekiyo Shinguji is locked up, a life sentence is making sure he never kills another person again.." His uncle said, breaking the silence. He set his arms on the desk and glanced off to the side before looking back at his nephew.

"It's thanks to you."

Shuichi was silent, then swallowed and opened his mouth to speak.

"That's not entirely true."

"Right. You mentioned in your report you had help from one of Shinguji's victims."

"That's true. I couldn't have done it without Kokichi Oma," Shuichi agreed, but continued. "But I also had thr help from the person who put the pictures of Kokichi Oma with those men in my suitcase before I left the day I was fired," he said.

His uncle raised a brow.

"Is that so?"

Shuichi nodded. "I had help because of the victim and because of you , uncle."

His uncle paused. Then looked at Shuichi with a curiosity.

"Are you saying I helped you?"

"You put the pictures in my suitcase, didn't you? You gave me a lead to follow and solve the case." Shuichi replied firmly, already knowing he was right. "So.. without the help I received, I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to catch Korekiyo Shinguji."

Both males were silent for awhile. Then his uncle let out a soft chuckle.

"I'm not saying I did or didn't leave those pictures in your suitcase. If people found out I did something like that, they may think I favorite you because you're my nephew..." he started. "But .. I did want you to prove yourself, but you needed to do that yourself. I couldn't help with that part. Then you wouldn't have learned anything." After all, if he helped Shuichi the entire journey, Shuichi wouldn't have learned or inspired anything new. The moment that was clear was when his uncle was watching Shuichi through the camera, and he saw how hei nephew was able to keep his cool throughout the entire event with confronting Korekiyo — particularly when the killer confessed to murdering Shuichi's lover , Kaede Akamatsu. That time... Shuichi didn't act out on emotions, he stayed true to himself. Even when face-to-face with the killer who took Kaede away, Shuichi put aside his hate and stuck to the situation at hand which, though his uncle wouldn't admit to, he was proud of his nephew for that.

"But," his uncle added, his gaze shifted to the side of the room. "I think may have misplaced that file of photographs in your suitcase by accident. So I suppose it's thanks to me you solved this case, but keep that between us" he murmured under his breath, earning a surprised look, then smile from his nephew.

"Uncle.." Shuichi's heart felt like it was healed from the doubt and fear it had of his uncle hating him. "Thank you.." he replied softly. Then he stood up and bowed.

"And.. I apologize for what I did!" Shuichi made sure to apologize as genuinely as he could, hoping he could get all his emotions of he felt across.

"I'm.. ashamed of myself as a detective. I hope.. somehow, during this case.. I've been able to redeem myself in your eyes.."

As he stayed frozen his that bowing position, he heard his uncle's chair move.

"I'm so sorry, uncle—"

Then Shuichi was pulled into a hug.

"I know you are.." his uncle replied, putting a hand on Shuichi's head. "I never once have doubted your word, Shuichi."

The young detective was caught off guard, never getting to see his softer side of his uncle often, if ever. Without meaning to, his eyes began to brim with tears as he started to cry as he tightly hugged his uncle back.

His uncle sighed, patting his nephew's head for a moment as he let Shuichi cry like a little kid for a minute. He knew deep down, Shuichi was , and always would be a good detective, so letting him cry was what his uncle thought was the least he could do, after all the hardwork and stress his nephew went through to come back up to the title of detective he once fell from.

He held his nephew close, patting his back to calm him down. He held back a small smile and shook his head as he listened to Shuichi sniffle and cry.

"It's good to have you back, Shuichi."

【。_。】 . 【。_。】