- 𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐀𝐂𝐊𝐄𝐃 -

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

【。_。】 . 【。_。】

After Kokichi went upstairs and left Shuichi alone to think, the detective put his head in his hands and sighed with frustration. What was that back there?! He couldn't explain; he enjoyed it... but felt so... unprofessional? No, something else. Shuichi couldn't figure it out. He was supposed to be solving the murder case surrounding one particular exotic dancer: Kokichi Oma, but instead, Shuichi was finding himself enjoying Kokichi's touch far too much. What happened to a simple deal for using Kokichi's services Shuichi to be rewarded with information, but now instead he was liking Oma!?

"God damn it... What's wrong with me..?" Shuichi ran his fingers through his navy-colored hair, his hair brushed out of his slightly sweaty face for a moment before it fell back into place. Shuichi had gone through so much after making such a stupid mistake, and was now determined to redeem himself, but how could he do that with him getting distracted?

"I can't allow myself to..." Shuichi trailed off as his mind wandered back to thinking of Kokichi; his bright, beautiful purple eyes, his soft skin, the sweet moans and cries he made when they had sex, his unusual, yet interesting personality, his slim figure and delicate, teasing touch—

"Argh!" Shuichi shook his head, trying to clear his mind of both Oma and falling in the gutter. "I need to focus on my mission. Oma is involved in something, and it's dangerous, so I can't–" but Shuichi was cut off talking to himself when a sudden shout of surprise echoed throughout the house and it was coming from upstairs.

Shuichi stumbled to his feet, his shirt still unbuttoned and barely clinging to his shoulders, his pants he zipped back up as he ran upstairs and headed to Kaito's room first.

However, as soon as the sight in front of him came into process, Shuichi turned pale and felt sick.

Kaito was laying on the floor, tangled in his sheets and blankets like he had tried scrambling out of bed. But the pool of blood underneath his head was all it took for Shuichi to snap into action and rush to his side. Immediately the detective pulled out his phone and called 911.

"Hang in there! Momota-kun!" He cried frantically, panicked as he called out for Kaito to hold on and quickly explained on the phone the situation, address and need of paramedics.

And through it all, Shuichi never saw Kokichi. The entertainer had vanished when Shuichi found Kaito.

.
.
.

A week later, it was confirmed Kaito would live, but he was suffering from a major head injury and probably would be in the hospital for a good while. And it was useless to ask him about his attacker. When Kaito woke up long enough to even talk, the police tried to get information about the culprit who assaulted Kaito, but Kaito couldn't remember a thing, and wasn't in shape for interrogating.

"So... you found him, Saihara?" asked one of the cops.

Shuichi's head perked up and he immediately stood up. He had been waiting in the hospital for Kaito to wake up. Though the detective recognized the police officer.

"Akira-san," Shuichi stated out of habit. Akira was an older officer who was a friend of Shuichi's uncle.

The older man smiled slightly, adjusting his hat before putting his notepad and pen back in his pocket for a moment.  "How have you been, Shuichi-kun?" He asked kindly, reaching over and pinching Shuichi's cheek, making Shuichi blush slightly.

It had felt like forever since Shuichi had seen any of his old co-workers from the station. It felt strange to say the least.

"O-oh, um, good," Shuichi lied, averting his eyes to the floor. But the older man laughed and patted his shoulder, and gestered for Shuichi to sit back down with him.

"No need to lie. I've known you since you were a kid. You're a terrible liar." The officer commented as Shuichi sat beside him. Both were silent for awhile, but as Shuichi was about to open his mouth, Akira spoke up first.

"Your uncle doesn't hate you. You know that right?"

Shuichi was caught off gaurd as he stared at the other for moment before looking at his hands in his lap.

"Yeah. He got pretty mad. But mad because of how you almost had your life ruined," the officer told him. "If you had ended up killing that man, you would have been in a lot more trouble than just being blacklisted."

Shuichi frowned, though he knew that. But it was a little reassuring to hear his uncle didn't hate him. Though Shuichi wasn't sure his uncle did, he was unsure nonetheless. He looked up to his uncle so much, so disappointing him was one of Shuichi's worst life failures.

"I...I'm sorry..." Shuichi quietly replied. But the officer beside him chuckled and put his hand on Shuichi's head, messing up his hair a bit.

"You apologize too much.." he looked off to some random part of the hospital hall they were in. "I liked her. Kaede." He said softly, sending Shuichi a small, yet sad smile. "She was a sweet girl. Always visiting the station to come check up on you..."

Shuichi's heart skipped a beat hearing the name. He blushed more, though felt the sadness wash through his heart.

"Y-yeah, she was," Shuichi murmered, cracking a tiny smile to himself, then went quiet. He kept gazing off with a solemn look on his face, like he was lost in thought. He had been ever since Kaito was brought here.

"Hey,"

Shuichi looked up at Akira who stood up and adjusted his hat.

"Y-yeah?"

The older man looked like he wanted to say something, but decided otherwise and shook his head. "You're a good friend. I hope Momota-san sees a full recovery ," he said, giving the other a small bow before leaving.

.
.
.

Throughout the week Shuichi stayed at the hospital until he got results o  Kaito's condition. The ex-detective thought to himself– a lot. It involving Kaito's attack and who did it. At first Shuichi was sure someone, the someone Kaito mentioned was trying to get into his house earlier that day, was the one responsible. But apparently to the police, there wasn't a forced entry.

So who was it? Who attacked Kaito?

Well, obviously... there was one highly suspectable suspect: Kokichi. Who disappeared around the time Shuichi found Kaito. Shuichi hadn't mentioned Kokichi being there. Maybe because he was worried if the police began to integrate Kokichi, Oma wouldn't cooperate with Shuichi for his own personal case.  Or maybe because somewhere deep inside Shuichi, he hoped Kokichi didn't attack and nearly kill Kaito.

However, all that made Shuichi feel be was picking between Kaito's attack, and Kaede's murder. If Shuichi kept quiet about Kokichi, he could avenge Kaede, if he told, he may never know who murdered his lover.

No. There was a solution to this. Shuichi gripped his chest. These... feelings he felt towards Kokichi Oma, he must destroy them; he must think like a detective; just like he was when he first met Kokichi.

Shuichi would lock his heart away. Just like he had always done. He wouldn't risk it out in the open again– to be seen, to be stolen. He would see Kokichi as nothing but a suspect who could be responsible for murder and nearly killing Shuichi's best friend.

Shuichi wouldn't fall for the entertainer.

He wouldn't fall in love with anyone ever again.

【。_。】 . 【。_。】