- 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐖𝐀𝐓𝐂𝐇 -

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

【。_。】 . 【。_。】

[ sᴍᴜᴛ ᴡᴀʀɴɪɴɢ ]

That answer was the last thing Shuichi expected Kaito to say. That someone was trying to get in and kill him? But before the detective could question about it, Kaito already started to explain.

"You see, lately, ever since early this morning, something has been trying to get in my house.." he sounded serious about it. Shuichi sat next to him.

"Since this morning?" He clarified and Kaito nodded.

"After... he left," he gestured his head over towards Kokichi. "-this morning, the power went out. It was really early, so it was really dark out. Then I heard someone rattling the doorknob to the back door.  After that, someone tried the front door. I thought it was maybe Kokichi. He forgot something or something... but when I checked the window his car was gone and..." Momota trailed off as he thought about it. Suddenly he went as pale as a sheet and stood up from where he was sitting.

"T-there was someone right there.... right outside my window!" He exclaimed, looking quite terrified. "I immediately grabbed my gun and checked outside, but they were gone... I waited here all day for them to come back.. but that's when I realized.."

"Realized what?" asked Shuichi.

Kaito looked at him and under his breath, in a squeaky whisper. "Isn't it obvious? It was a ghost– aGH!"

Kaito grabbed the back of his head in pain because Kokichi tossed a book he found on the coffee table at him. "You idiot. You're just making all this up! I can't believe I actually had sex with you.." Kokichi mumbled with disapproval written all over his expression. He couldn't believe this grown man was scared of ghosts. And actually thought one came to his house.

"What a dumbass.." Kokichi thought.

But Kaito seemed really freaked out. Shuichi knew he had an... extreme fear of the supernatural to say the least, so Kaito wouldn't be like this if he wasn't absolutely terrified. Sighing a soft sigh, Shuichi put a hand on Kaito's shoulder and coaxed him to sit back down. "Momota-kun, can you tell me anything you saw or heard?" Shuichi doubted it was a ghost, but he wanted to try and convince his friend it was more likely a person who had bad intentions. If that was the case, Shuichi needed to know whatever clues Kaito had.

"Well... before I heard the doorknobs rattle... there was this odd high pitched sound ... I thought it was the heater in the back, that's why I went there.. b-but then the backdoor in the kitchen began to move.." he trailed off quietly with a shudder. But Shuichi raised a brow.

"High pitched... sound?"

"Like.. like a whistle. Something like that.."

Shuichi hummed to himself and crossed his arms. Was it possible whoever was trying to get in was the real killer to this case? They were waiting for Kokichi to leave, but weren't able to get in because Kaito was awake?

Shuichi mentally noted down those few interesting truth bullets: 1. The high pitched noise. 2. The fact that they left after noicting Kaito was awake. 3. That this happened after Kokichi left the house.