Chapter 9

I looked up to see the new girl, Emily, staring wide eyed at my arm. Shit. It did have to be her, the one person who I had hoped to be friends with or maybe even more, that found me like this. Now she would just think I was a huge freak just like everyone else thought. It was too late to hide it from her, I mean the blood was still running down my arm at a steady pace. Judging by the look of absolute horror plastered across her face Emily had seen all she needed to. Predictable tears crept up on me again as I pushed past her, heading for the door.

She grabbed my hand on the way past and pulled me into her with a firm yet loving grip. This suprised me, why was a girl I barely knew who had just seen my fresh cuts hugging me? Anyone else would have run away or made fun of me. At the very least I thought she would have kept her distance to make sure she didn't get any of my blood on her. Even though it didn';t make sense it was just what I needed. I wrapped my bloody arms around her and hugged her tight, crumping on her. My tears flowed in steady torrents, soaking her jumper but she didn't seem to mind and I couldn't stop myself. This was the first hug I had been given ever since I could remember.

After a minute or so Emily slowly and gently entangled herself from me but still kept her hands on my shoulders to comfort me. I looked down, studying her plain black school shoes all the while knowing that she was staring at my arm. Soft fingers touched my chin, lifting my head up gently so we were looking into each others eyes. Hers were a warm, deep brown flecked with lighter green. They were the kind of eyes you wanted to spend eternity in.

Neither of us spoke for a minute or so, I was kind of mesmerized by her. I thought I should probably say something, explain, maybe that's what she was waiting for. When I could bring myself to speak I hesitantly opened my mouth but before I could say anything I felt soft lips pressing gently against mine. I felt the hands which had been holding my shoulders slide down my arms, smearing the blood from the cuts, to clasp my shaking hands. Closing my eyes I kissed back as intense happiness washed over me.

The kiss ended all too soon but I felt her start to pull away and I let her. I just stood there speechless as she took one last look at me and left me melting as she made her exit. I was alone once more.