Chapter 38

Ocean

My mother. . . the embodiment of angel. At least that's how I remembered her. Her face was sweet, her voice gentle and soothing.

I could not imagine that behind such gentle facial features and wonderful character, lies such a secret. Though the blur, I can remember her large eyes, whose corners were always lowered, apparently hiding the sadness that had crushed her heart, little by little.

My mother. . . our mother.

I tried to say a word, but my trembling lips curled in strange directions. I wanted to cry, to scream. Just the memory of my mother and the fact that I was left without her so early aroused a torrent of feelings in me every time.

A silent tear fell down my cheek. I closed my eyes and mentally gathered strength. I have to be strong.

"Brother?"

I looked at him questioningly, not even realizing what I had just said. Of all the words that humanity has invented, I have uttered just that.

Unknown word to me. Strange . I was always alone. Brother.

His demeanor relaxed and at my word, he closed his eyes tightly and tilted his head slightly toward the floor. He took a deep breath and looked at me, approaching me with cautious steps.

'' Yes, I am your older brother. . . Sis'. ''

He raised his hand and rested his palm on my shoulder. His words conveyed so many emotions that I don't think he was aware of either.

We were strangers, but than so close. Some would say, close strangers. The same blood flowed through our veins. Our mother's blood.

In situations like this one doesn't know how to react, just turn on the autopilot and let your instinct do everything.

Tears began to catch up with each other and I hugged Jaxon tightly. It took him a few moments, but he, too, carefully hugged my little frame.

We were silent, and we knew that much more needed to be said. To be revealed.

After the hug weakened, we retreated each to our sides and sat in chairs, facing each other.

'' Let me continue the story. . . ''

Jaxon said and leaned back comfortably in his chair.

"Few years back. . . When I overcame the emotional shock after learning the truth, I went out in front of my father and made him face the truth."

He exhaled sharply and nodded.

'' It was a mistake. He did not want to answer any of my questions. I only managed to arouse some deep anger and old hatred in him. "

He looked me straight in the eyes and leaned towards me.

'' He just told me he knew he had irreparably hurt Evelyn and that he didn't deserve her. But despite that, the fact that she got married and had a child. . . you. . . created much worse hatred in him. Towards Evelyn, your father and you. . . Sick love and lack of common sense, I would say. "I put my hand over my mouth, unable to come to my senses. This was too much for me. My whole life has been doomed from the beginning.

'' And in that envelope. . . ''

Now I understand why the code for the safe was 2109, it was the date of birth of my, our mother.

"In that envelope were all the documents that confirm my origin. If only my mother's family found out that I was not her real son. . . Her brother would surely fight to take the mafia throne and overthrow me. Since my father transferred power to me recently. That would mean death to me and my father Parker in the mafia world. "

"That's why you have to tell me. . . ''

He leaned even closer to me, a little ahead. From his gesture, I retreated even deeper into the chair. I think he saw my fear so he withdrew a little.

"Who sent you?"

A cloud with countless thoughts hovered over my head. What is the purpose of hiding. If he says he's the main mobster, that means he can only help me get rid of Ian, while keeping his head on his shoulders.

It really hit me then. Mafia. My brother is a mobster. Exactly the kind of people who have been trying hard to make my life miserable lately.

"Ian."

That was all I could say.

He angrily jumped out of his chair and hit the table with his fist. The sound of the crackling of a solid wood echoed through the room and kept buzzing in my ears.

I too got up from my chair, persistently looking for his gaze and a chance to hear more about my torturer.

'' That son of a bitch. How could he do this to me. . . ''

His jaw clenched and his teeth chattered.

"I'm sorry, Jaxon, you don't know what horrors this monster was preparing for me and what he was threatening me with. . . ''

He took a deep breath and turned to me. He rested both hands on my shoulders.

'' Ocean, he's just a pawn. Behind him lies an even bigger monster. I know him personally. "

He closed his eyes and pulled me into a tight embrace. He approached my ear and whispered.

"He was sent by Satan himself.  He is working for. . . ''

At that moment, when my knees were already weak and limp, a massive door opened, letting in an endless waves of blonde and shiny hair.

We both broke the embrace and separated from each other. Aria's confused look scanned us and she opened her mouth in disbelief, she herself was not aware of what to say.

'' Jaxon, yeah. . . you. . . no one was at the front desk. I didn't know your secretary was right with you. I see I'm interrupting something, I'm leaving. "

At that moment, Jaxon rushed over to her, grabbing her wrist, right about when she was turning to leave.

''Please Aria, it's not what you think. This is. . . thing. . . of a family nature. There will be times when I will explain to you. Please. . . stay.''

Aria narrowed her eyes and looked at me and then at Jaxon.

''OK.''

That was all she said, she corrected her posture and walked past me without a word. Jaxon patted me on the shoulder and said softly.

'' Ocean, we'll continue the story. You can go now. "

I was stunned. First by the fact that I have a brother. Secondly, with the whole weird and sadistic story about the mafia. Third, I was on the verge of finding out who was hiding behind my torturer's mask. And finally, the fact that Aria, Kaden's sister, probably misinterpreted my and Jaxon's hug. An she even doesn't know about me and Kaden. This is not going to end up well. What a drama!

I closed the door and leaned my back against it. I can't wait for the end of working hours to see Kaden.

I need him.