Chapter 2

Ocean

The sound of the alarm shattered my dreams into a million fractions, and they disappeared as my eyes barely got used to the early morning sun that bathed my room. I laid extremely still for another ten minutes. During that time, my body looked like a lifeless ruin as a swarm of thoughts ran through my head.

They didn't call me yesterday. Someone might be happy, but I know that's not a very good sign. They do not give up their prey. They don't stop until they get what belongs to them.

I sighed deeply and turned to the side, watching the white translucent clouds pierce the morning sky. Alone in the room. Alone in the apartment. Alone.

My mother died when I was very young. Troughtmy  bllured past I remember her smile and the way she made braids in my hair. How she sang songs to me as she brushed through my brown hair and kissed me in the forehead when she was done.

Then one day it all stopped. Songs. Braids. And kisses.

I was left alone with my alcoholic father, who didn't care much for me. I found salvation in the warm and safe walls of the classroom, immersed in the rows and rows of the most beautiful books of that time.

When I was growing up, I managed to get a job at a nearby restaurant and earn as much as I could for the things a girl needed.

Crying, I would greet him at night and beg him not to take away my savings that I had earned hard between school hours and working in a restaurant. He took not only my savings, but also part of my carefree childhood. Irrevocably.

His gambling addiction was growing and taking over our lives like a wild forest fire engulfing everything in front of him.

One day I would notice that we were left without a TV in the living room, while the next day we would not even have a washing machine.

One evening after returning from work, I was greeted in front of the house by a police patrol and agonizing rotating lights that foresaw some horror.

Car accident. I was left without him that day. My gambler father.

One might say that the ordeal came to an end, but the ordeal had just begun for me that day.

At the funeral, three men in long black coats and dark glasses dragged me behind the chapel. In the most ‚‚tender‚‚ way, they explained to me that although my father had left the earthly world, he had not given up his obligations and debts to them.

At that moment, I became a debtor who paid for my father's sins and debts. With my blackmailed head.

I had no inheritance or any property to sell and settle those damn debts. I had no hope that I could solve this problem. I had nothing. But some strength that was smoldering in me and a desire for life did not allow me to come to terms with the fact that I would not live to be in my thirties or fifties. However, I am only 21 years old. I wanted to live. I want to live.

With that, I sent my resume and the most convincing motivational letters to all the major corporations, where I knew I had a chance to make decent money that would help me pay off the debt. To some extent.

When Mr. Atkinson offered me a job yesterday, he didn't even realize he was offering me a way out. Hope.

Thank you for that.

So here, for the first time in a long time, I got out of bed with something that looked like a smile and got ready for new victories.

The entrance, hallways and elevators of the building where I work were overbooked. Morning fever and sleepy people rushing to their jobs collided and greeted each other through the muffled sounds of their not yet awakened throats.

The sound rang and the elevator door opened, showing a falsely smiling Jane who had darkness in her eyes when she saw me. She didn't like me, and that was more than obvious.

"Good morning Ocean."

"Good morning Jane."

We uttered both, but it was as if the poison was flowing from our lips and not the words. I didn't like her either.

"Follow me."

She got up from the front desk and we headed for the hallway I was in yesterday, in the hallway where Mr. Atkinson's office is.

Right next to his door, there was another one, which I didn't even notice yesterday. Understandably, given that I had a narrowed state of consciousness.

"This is your office. You will be Mr. Atkinson's personal assistant. "

I looked at her, making an invisible shield that protected me from her serpentine gaze. I turned around and soaked up the room I was in. Small office, airy, bright walls with desk and shelves for binders and documents. A couple of abstract paintings on the walls made the room cozy. Everything was fine. I sat down at my new desk, running my hands through the wooden surface where my laptop, phone, and office supplies were.

A sloping female silhouette appeared before my eyes. Jane leaned her torso over my desk, highlighting her breasts, whose cleavage was obviously unsuitable for the job. She took another look of me from head to toe. Her red lips moved in a threatening manner.

"If you think you're going to jump into Mr. Jaxon's bed, you're so wrong.If I were in your place, I would keep my hands to myself. Take this seriously. "

I smiled at her, and her eyes furrowed even more in wonder and anger. I tilted my head, studying her face. Are they together? Or is she just having some romantic feelings for him? It remains to be seen.

"Thank you, Jane, for guiding me so nicely to my work. And now I would ask you to leave me. I have a lot of work to do. "

She snorted like some third-rate racehorse and left my office. What a drama of a woman.

Does she think I'm here to seduce Jaxon Atkinson? Anyway, I don't care. It is undeniable that Mr. Atkinson is a very attractive and desirable man. A young self-made billionaire who captivated with charisma, the dream of many women. The dream of almost every woman.

But the truth is that I am here for completely different reasons. Out of a desire to live.