Chapter 16

Ocean

"Put her a blindfold and shut her mouth. I don't have the nerve to listen her whining. "

He said and his pals obeyed his orders. Is this really happening to me? Shouldn't I, like any other twenty-one-year-old girl, take care of my nails, my hair, and worry about that sweet boy not returning my call?

It seems not, at least in this life.

The ride took about half an hour. During that time, my body was constantly having goosebumps, like I had a fever, because I was afraid that someone would try to touch me or something equally horrible.

Thanks God, that didn't happen.

Driving blindly, the only sound was the hum of the engine, while my companions were dead silent. Even too much for my taste.

Where are they taking me? Maybe he's not the boss. Maybe there is another "boss", to whom they are taking  me right now. The car stopped and looks like I'll find out soon enough.

I heard the creaking of the door, and out of nowhere and without notice I was pulled out of the car. Seeing nothing, I landed roughly on the dusty ground and let out a scream, muffled by sealed lips.

"Take off her bindings."

Someone's hands roughly untied the sharp cloths from my eyes and lips. Darkness greeted me. Same one as when I wore the blindfold. Only the full moon shone high in the sky, illuminating us all under its light blanket.

Where are we?

I looked around. We were in the middle of nowhere. The road stretched indefinitely, disappearing into a dark abyss. We were about twenty meters away from the asphalt road. There was low vegetation around us, and I realized we were on some deserted , side road, far from the city.

'' Listen you little slut. . . ''

Ian said, towering me while I was still leaning my elbows on the dusty ground.

"Last time you were lucky to be saved by a passer-by. You won't be that lucky this time. "

He laughed out loud. True, this time there was no one around us. There was no Kaden. I was left to myself. 

"Unfortunately for you, you must have angered him quite a lot, when he decided to speed things up."

Who is he, I don't understand?

"Let's be honest, you can't raise the money."

I can say that at that moment I was more confused than scared.

''Get up.''

A swarm of thoughts wandered through my head. Isn't Ian in charge? To whom did my father sell my soul?

"Get up when I tell you !!!"

Ian roared, visibly annoyed that I had not responded to his order. Which I haven't even heard. The thoughts in my head were louder than his howl.

Slowly I began to get up, shaking the dust from my hands.

My wild heartbeat shattered this damn silence that surrounded us. I felt a pulse in the bottom of my throat, that was convulsing and constricting.

"It's time to end this."

He said almost with relief, lowering his hand to his belt. My breath caught in my throat when I realized what was going to happen next.

He pulled the gun, which shone like the finest diamond, reflecting the moon's rays falling on its cold surface.

He aimed it at me, and the long barrel of the pistol was the only thing in front of my eyes.

"Do you want to say the last words?"

Last words. . .? So this is how the end really looks.

When people say that life flashed before their eyes in the moments when they experienced imminent death, I believe they were not lying.

A million pictures in my head, as if on a conveyor belt, changed. From carefree smiles, through a police siren to a pile of papers that flew into the air, scattering in front of the elevator.

'' If your silence means you don't. . . Then it's time to. . . ''

"STOP!"

I screamed as my voice echoed, traveling far across the deserted hills.

"I have the money."

Ian just smiled, still pointing his gun at me.

"If this is your poor attempt to save a head on your shoulder. . . ''

"I promise its not, I have the money. Whole amount. "

The smile on his face slowly faded and turned serious. He looked at me for a while, studying me. Then he broke the silence.

"If what you're saying is really true, then I want you to deliver the money to me tomorrow night.''

He motioned his head, gesturing to his pals to go. They got into their SUV, and after making a cloud of dust and sailing down a dark road, they left me alone.

I let out a low scream and exhale, falling to my knees. I began to cry and sob, dipping my face into my dusty, trembling hands.

All alone. In the middle of nowhere. But alive.

After I regained my composure, I got up and headed for the road. I started walking in the direction I saw Ian and his men drive away.

Not a single car passed by. I walked for a long time, my legs were already starting to swell and become exhausted.

As an apparition, I saw a faint light spreading along the road and getting stronger every second. I turned and saw two headlights approaching me.

I started jumping wildly and waving my arms. The car stopped and the window on the passenger side slowly opened.

"Ma'am, are you all right?"

"Please, I need a ride to town I'll pay as much as I need, just drive me."

I'll pay as much as I need. . . it flew off my lips in a rush of adrenaline, and I knew I had barely a couple of bills in my wallet. . . not to mention that I didn't have half a million to return. Tomorrow.

"Of course I'll help you, I don't need anything from you. I'm going there anyway. "

Said a man in his thirties.

"Thank you, I owe you."

I opened the door, sat down, and fastened my seat belt.

I opened my bag and pulled out my phone. I looked once again through the window behind which was thick darkness. Then I looked back at the phone.

I accept your offer.