Chapter 27

Ocean

After a sleepless night, the noise in my head did not subside. How did I get involved in all this? I sat at the reception desk, staring blankly at the screen in front of me. I was not focused and I prayed to God that this day would pass quickly, because I was functioning on the auto pilot mode.

The flashback from last night was constantly rewinding in my head.

 "Ian, you have no right to demand this from me! I paid you to the last penny! " 

I shouted loudly and the people from the surrounding tables turned their heads towards us, to see who was making the noise. He grabbed my wrist, leaning toward me. 

'' Lower your tone when you are talking to me, baby girl. You obviously don't understand how things work around here. . . There is no way out, except. . . in the coffin. "

I pulled my hand out of his grip, massaging the spot where I felt the force of his hand. 

"Then maybe it's better to end up six feet under than in the mafia!"

He laughed, leaning back in his chair and raising his hand to the backrest. Ian pursed his lips and then curled them into a smile, while his thick eyebrows were arched high.

"Well, you see, I'd like to see you there too. But. . . for some reason he wants to keep you alive and introduce you to. . . work.''

''Who is he?''

'' You'll find out when the time comes for that. And now. . . take the folder and study it well. If you finish this job, you will stay alive and show that you are capable of advancing in the hierarchy. "

Then he approached me like an impending death that opened its mouth and was ready to swallow me into its dark and deaf underground holes.

'' And remember. . . if you want to tell someone about this. . . death will be a vacation on a tropical island in relation to what awaits you or that person you choose to tell. Capisci(U understand)? ''

End of flashback. 

I didn't even notice that I was touching and tearing my lips with my fingers out of nervousness. No, I can't say anything to Kaden. I must not allow myself to drag him into all this and endanger his life.

Ian made it clear to me that I must not refuse the job. . . I screamed to myself and cursed the day my father decided to give his only daughter as pawn only to feed his endless gambling addiction. 

Didn't he have the slightest compassion and paternal love for me? His words echoed in my head to this day, that I only remind him of my mother. That I only exist to remind him that she never sincerely loved him.

‚‚She had never loved me like she loved him. I always had the feeling that she loved him more and never really forgot him completely. His name haunts me even now that she's long dead!‚‚

He often babbled in a drunken state, and I don't even think he was aware of his words. Probably my character, who looked a lot like hers, reminded him of my mother. His deceased wife.

When I would asked him the next day what he was talking about and who was HE, he would push me away from him, swear or just give me a death stare.

He never wanted to tell me what he was talking about, and I had no one to ask, except him. 

It all comes down to the fact that my life is destined from the beginning to be anything but good. But I didn't want it to be good, just simple, relieved of pain. But that wasn't God's plan for me.

I swallowed a lump in my throat at the thought of what was written on the papers that lied beneath the leather cover of the folder.

Can I do that to him? Me? The one he trusted?

My inner battlefield was interrupted by the elevator bell that resounded like a thunderbolt. Too much noise for my fragile and sensitive state of mind.I looked up and a group of people were moving towards me.

Three of them.

An older, rounded man with a tie falling over his bulky belly. A tall and slender blonde, whose golden curls fell elegantly over a black, tight knee-length dress. Her smile was hypnotic, but not so much as her blue eyes that were like jewels on her pale face.And he.

I was so lost, I didn't even look at Jaxon's schedule for today. I cursed myself softly into my chin. How could I be so stupid as not to check what Jaxon has scheduled for today.

The older man approached the reception desk and addressed me, groping his gray mustache. 

''Good morning, miss. I believe Mr. Atkinson is expecting us. "

I opened my mouth, visibly confused, unable to cope in an instant.

'' Actually he is expecting Mr. Ward. I'm his lawyer.''

''Just a moment.''

I shook my head and quickly found the scheduled meeting. I picked up the phone and called Jaxon. As I waited for him to answer, I looked up at Kaden, who smirked at me. He looked sexy in that black suit and my heart started beating fast. What is this man doing to me?

''Yes?''

The voice on the other end of the wire tore me out of the trance I had fallen into.

"Mr. Atkinson, Mr. Ward and his delegation have arrived."

"Let them in."

I hung up and smiled, looking at Kaden's lawyer.

"Mr. Atkinson is expecting you. This way. "

I pointed in the direction of his office and shifted my gaze to Kaden. He was still looking at me sharply. Mystical. His gaze conveyed his thoughts. Which weren't so naive, I can tell you.

The blonde looked at me and then at him and pushed her hand under his.

''Come on Kaden. Jaxon is expecting us. "

He smiled at her tenderly and sincerely. His eyes lit up. They headed for Jackson's office and I lost sight of them.I sat back in my chair and my heart sank.

What was this? Who is she?He was very clear when he said that he didn't want to commit to be exclusive with me. Is she. . . his girlfriend?

I opened my mouth, fighting for air, which intermittently filled my constricted lungs. So this is the feeling when you realize that you are not important to the person who held your heart in their hands. And crushed it.

It had been an hour since their meeting had begun and I was still trembling, like a delicate flower in the wind whipping its fragile petals.There was a thump of shoes on the marble floor and a murmur. After a few moments, Kaden, his lawyer and his. . . passed me.

"Goodbye, miss."

The old man told me. I barely adjusted my smile and nodded to him. They stood in front of the elevator, waiting for it to come. Suddenly Kaden put his hand on the blonde's shoulder and apologized to her.He turned and walked towards me.

My pulse went skyrocket. He rested his hand on the counter and leaned slightly toward me. I pursed my lips in anger and not to curse him out loud in front of everyone. But in the end, I agreed to all of this. 

"I'm waiting for you at my place tonight. At eight. ''

I glared at him, wanting to shove everything in his face. What does he think he is? He is making a booty call in front of her?!

He winked at me and turned. When he reached the blonde, he put his hand in the middle of her back, gently pushing her into the elevator.As the elevator door closed, his gaze became more and more triumphant. 

Of course I won't go.

Actually, of course I'll go only to put an end to our contract.This shit just isn't for me.