Part 27

Part 27

Late afternoon, the following day, the Raizada clan along with Anjali, descended upon the Gupta house. Few inquisitive eyes shot up from the neighbouring windows, opened wide, while some pretended not to be interested, while secretly eyeing. Not everyday Gupta house had visitors coming in huge cars. And it was a colourful treat to the eyes seeing mami's face, not to mention her Benares saree. Anjali's simple saree with the designer blouse was a pleasant contrast making the ladies wonder how can such a simple saree look this beautiful. Just like her brother, Anjali definitely carried grace and class and a no nonsense attitude where ever she went. 

 .

Just as predicted, Buaji would have blown the roof off, if it wasn't for previous notification. Babuji stayed at home to receive the visitors. Clueless Khushi was running between the warehouse, on the bottom floor and the designer's office on the fourth floor at AR, to get last minute orders and alterations to the designer clothes finalised. 

.

"Namaste" all greeted each other.

 .

They could easily see the difference in Shashi Gupta. He had lost a few pounds and his shoulders sagged. Post operation stress had weighed them down.

.

Even though the Gupta's were intrigued by their sudden visit, they did not show it. Coffee and tea offered, the guests relaxed.

.

Just as Anjali was about to begin, Payal rushed inside, apologising for the late arrival. She had to do an early shift in order to be at home for the guests. Now, there was some light in Akash's face, his smile grew wider.

.

"Sorry for being late. I had to make sure the boys knew what they had to do. " Payal sat down after freshening. 

.

"I will not keep you all in suspense any more Shashi ji. It is about Khushi." Nani began. 

.

Payal shot a look at Arnav accusingly. "How could you do this?" Before they could continue, Payal interrupted "Please, sorry to interrupt, but I think Khushi too should be here. She should agree to it first."

.

All eyes questioned Payal. Mami's until now non-interested eyes shot a piercing glance at her as if she were a worm. Payal gloriously ignored her as if she didn't exist and looked at Arnav. Arnav was as blank as ever, without a clue. Payal then questioned Akash with her eyes. Akash gave a light nod. Akash guessed she was talking about 'the proposal' she had mentioned. Due to lack of time he had not had the opportunity to discuss it with his Bhai. 

.

 While the Guptas were totally unaware, the Raizadas wondered what or how does Payal know? .When no one answered, Payal fidgeting her dupatta stammered , "ah , ah, I mean, if it's about Khushi, then..." her previous courage had disappeared seeing all the faces. 

.

Nani continued, "I know bitiya, but the matter is very delicate, we think your parents are best suited to reveal this to her. They will know how she would take it. We think it is best to inform them before her. Don't know how she will bear it.. "

.

Even though Payal was confused, she wasn't convinced yet. But she thought it was too late to stop anyway.

.

"My only daughter Ratna was married to Amol Malik in Lucknow." Nani paused and looked at Shashi. The name bought some recognition in Shashi's face.