Part 9

Part 9

Gupta household was a busy place off late. With the backyard churning boxes and boxes of lunches, every member of the house was busy. Nearly four weeks since Shashi was taken ill, all the ladies made sure he worked as minimum as possible. Help came from Lucknow in the form of Ramu and munna. After Swastik Mishtan was closed, the boys were dispensable. Who better than their previous employer. As of now, the spare room was a bonus.

"Jiji, you are coming with me right? Once you get familiarised with the office staff you can do some deliver with munna. With the new offices signing up, it's getting hard to deliver food on time." Khushi was making shopping list for the day and budgeting, while scratching her head with the back of the pen. Plenty of work, yet the turnover was going slow. At this rate, it would take months to accumulate the much needed cash.

"Khushi, I need to finish the saree and blouse for Mrs.Mehra. You know now nasty she can be when we don't deliver on time." Payal reminded.

"Mmm, jiji, you come along today, I will help you with it in the evening. Together we can finish in no time." With the older ladies busy cooking, hands were few.

Catering for Anjali's godh bharai function on insistence of Akash turned fruitful. Anjali's wish to have authentic Lucknowi cuisine had to be fulfilled. Guests couldn't stop licking their fingers. Arvind had managed to get some contracts for afternoon lunches, which obviously hadn't gone well with a certain someone and the following verbal spat that had thus followed was still fresh.

He stood mesmerized at the door of the kitchen. Beauty personified. No makeup, clear skin, long eye lashes covering her green hazel eyes. Dark lush hair tied in a messy bun, any day she could give a run to all the top models in his fashion house. Her modest salwar hugging her like second skin Arnav stood watching her hum a tune while getting the evening snacks ready. How dare she sing and smile at the samosas so lovingly?

"You don't leave an opportunity to flaunt your skills do you? Trying to get high class connections" Angry that she has ignored him all this while, Arnav had cornered her in the kitchen, when he had gone to fetch water for his sister. He hated the fact she affected him to this level. Why it had bothered him when she ignores, he didn't know. Her presence was enough to invoke unknown emotions he wasn't aware yet.

Khushi looked at him for a moment. She was truly confused why she triggered his anger. She replied very calmly,

"Sir, I know you have lots of issues with me. My life, my clothes, my class, my status etc, to name a few, these are really none of your concern. If you have any problem with the work, we can discuss, because I don't have any time to discuss my personal matters with you."

"Well, If you are so interested in business, let's talk business. I will get you orders, will you be able to fulfil them? Will you be able to take up the challenge?" he argued, but felt stupid at his own irrational argument.

"This man has completely lost it." Khushi thought shaking her head in desperation. She looked at him for a while, composed herself, not angry at all and replied, "Mr. Raizada why would I do that? Thanks for your offer, but no thanks. I am not interested. Do I come about asking where you are doing business? I do not ask who your partners are? Its your life Mr.Raizada and I'm not interested. I hope you get my point and appreciate it." once again she snubbed him and saw his hands fist and eyes go red. Little did she care.

"Then why do you always happen to come my way?" he retorted.

Khushi sighed at her fate, "Neither do I know. And I honestly wish I could avoid it. I wish I could change my situations and circumstances, but I'm no God, but you claim to be, then why do you still come to me. I wish your sister wasn't as good as she is, or she hadn't asked me for this. You must know better, she will get what she wants, she's your sister. Anyway if you are done, I need to go." And she made her way to get out of his way.

"Didi, I have kept all the boxes in the auto. There's special sweet today. I have kept one separate box aside, it's for the temple on the way. Another box is for Anjali madam." Munna went on and on, bringing Khushi back to present. Khushi dreaded going to Raizada house. Post godh bharai, Anjali had officially moved there. It was customary to go to maternal home. Luckily Khushi had no reason to go there until now. But today, she got busy thinking if there was a way to avoid going there.

**********************************

Raizada household had a festive feeling after Anjali had shifted along with Arun. Mami had insisted her delivery had to happen at her maternal home.

Khushi met Hari prakash even before she entered the huge gates of the Raizada mansion. Before she could greet, Hari prakash gave a welcome smile, truly happy seeing her and started,

"Oh Khushi bitiya, you have come. That's very good. Please stay for half an hour, I will be back soon. Badi Malkin and chote malkin have gone to temple for a quick pooja, they will be back soon. Arun and Anjali bitiya are in the room, the middle one. Anjali bitiya has asked me to fetch this list for Arun from the nearby shop." He put forward the list right front of her eyes, making khushi step back. Khushi simply nodded without understating half his speech. "Oh yeah, the door is not locked, just push it open"

It wasn't too hard to locate Anjali's room, with photos of Arun stuck on the door, something similar on his door in his house as well. 

She pushed the slightly open door and stood with her eyes wide, her hands went to close her mouth which was wide open with shock. Arun ran to her with both his hands stretched out, crying "DIDI...."

******************

Hope you all enjoyed reading.