♡Jack II♡

(I finished the sixth book today and lowkey almost cried, it was so good and it was so sad...so uh, the next chapters are all spoilers for book six! And these are like MAJOR spoilers!)
(Hello! Sorry for unpublishing and republishing this(7/8/23), but I read book six again and there were some things I wanted to change I thought would be better if I unpublished it for. I do believe it's much improved now, but the same warnings still apply.)

The Wind and The Waves

The pad of Jack's thumb makes another light run across the back of your hand. You stand next to him, your own brain running away with thoughts. You try your best not to dwell on your impending death, but you can't help it. You never thought you'd have to fight for your life, but here you are. Standing next to your boyfriend, who has gone commando mode, fear hunching your shoulders.

Jack's thumb moves yet again, wiping the water on your hand with it, his eyes trained on the seas. The motion not only calms him, but you would go so far as to say it grounds him. It reassures him that you are still there. After losing Wade he needs lots of assurance. He's never been one for physical affection, but he's hands can't seem to keep to themselves anymore. Whether he's holding your hand, got an arm around you, or you're completely in his lap, whenever he can he's got a hold on you reminding himself you're there.

He began to train harder too, allowing you to watch to fulfill his need for reassurance. He wasn't going to let what happened to Wade, happen to you. He'd take a bullet for you, but he was going to make himself quick enough to do just that in case a situation like Wade's ever came up again.

Jack heaves a small sigh, but you don't dare glance at him. Your eyes stay trained on the choppy water, scanning it for anything and everything as you were instructed to do. Armed with your power and a gun, you still can't afford to miss anything. Rather than replying - as you're sure you know what his sigh is about - you squeeze his hand once, then twice, and then a third time. A sequence the two of you have given the meaning "I love you".

If you had been watching, you would have seen a small smile etch its way across Jack's face. You would have seen his tense shoulders relax only the slightest bit. He gives your hand one long squeeze in return. Almost as if to say "I love you too" and "please don't leave me."

You sigh softly and, reluctantly, turn towards him. Ian is there, so your watching is probably useless anyway. "Jack?"

"Yes, love?" He asks, tearing his gaze from the water to set it on you, apparently coming to the same conclusion you had.

"There's this one thing that I've always wanted to do," you say, wiping some of the water off of your face. The rain decided to fall harder the second you stepped outside. It stung your skin the first few minutes until you got used to it, now it's more of an annoyance than anything else. Your clothes are soaked through, your shoes squishing with each step, but that is the least of your worries right now.

"You say that as if we're not coming back from this." He says, cocking an eyebrow, but you know he's thinking the same thing. He's a natural born leader and leaders know these sort of things. He knows what's best for the men who were just put under his leadership, and that this is not it.

"There's a big chance." Your voice lowers with the heaviness of the situation at hand. Jack takes in a deep breath, choosing to ignore your statement and the way your eyes roam to avoid his.

"What was it you wanted to tell me?" He asks, hooking a finger under your chin to lift your eyes to his. You do so quickly, happy to find his gaze soft.

"I've always wanted to kiss someone in the rain." You admit, your cheeks dusting over with a light pink. There go your eyes, looking away as if afraid of his reaction.