♡Tanner (Part. 1)♡

(HELLO! ⚠️SPOILERS AHEAD⚠️ -igottafindanangle-....okay now you know. There aren't like a bunch of spoilers and it leaves out a lot of details, but it does follow the plot of book two. AnyWade (who is a character) this is a three parter, so enjoy part one!)

Your Heavily Sedated Boyfriend's Dream

"And now Tanner is on the verge of cracking. In fact, he already has."

Tara puts a hand on your shoulder, gently dragging you back from the door you were eavesdropping outside of. She gives you a wry, uncomforting, smile and pulls you down the hall. You and Tanner have been secretly dating for six months. You love him with all your heart, and most of the time he, as well, has a good one. He doesn't want to hurt anyone, in fact, he just wants to see his parents. But without Dr. Hatch he won't be able to survive. So he stays and suffers. Under so much stress that often he can be found curled in your lap at night, having cried himself to sleep. He knows that Dr. Hatch is his chance for glory, he's told you that. Along with plans to escape and slowly rejoin society, so his life is no longer a living nightmare. You didn't know how much more he could take and apparently it wasn't as much as you hoped. Taking massive planes from the sky would take a toll on anyone's conscience. But especially Tanner's.

You follow Tara like a lost puppy towards your room. A grateful smile crossing your face. Your best friend has always been there for you. Especially when you have needed her most. But her loyalty to you is always outweighed by her loyalty to Hatch, so you know that she wouldn't be tight-lipped with Tanner's plans to escape. So you've kept them between the two of you. Hoping you won't slip up.

"Y/n?" You turn towards Tara and find yourself on your bed. You aren't sure how you got here, but you aren't in the mood to question.

"Tara?" You ask softly. She sadly sighs, holding up your night gown. You nod and stand up, no words needed. You take it from her and silently thank her as she leaves the room. As you change, your mind adverts to the over-worked teenage boy. He needs a break and tonight you plan to go see him. You grab a robe and drape it over your shoulders. Grabbing a book and a key. You open the door to your room and start towards the elevator. Planning to tell anyone who asks, you're headed to the library.

For your welcome gift, you were given a key. A key that will open any door in the compound. You stick it in the lock and it automatically forms to create the matching key. Meaning you can go anywhere you want. Right now, that's to see Tanner.

The elevator dings and the doors open. You sigh with relief when it's empty and hope that no one else gets on. You breathe another sigh of relief when you get to the basement, undetected. Surprisingly, you don't see many guards and the ones you do see are easily deterred from your case. You smile when you see Dr. Jung isn't around and slip your key in the door.

Your heart breaks as Tanner tries to disappear into the wall when you push it open. He relaxes when he sees it's just you and holds out his chained arms. A bandage wrapped around one where he's been drugged. Wanting you to comfort him, you hurry over and cup his face with your hand.

"What did they do to you?" You ask, rubbing your thumb lightly across his cheekbone. He doesn't answer, just presses his lips to yours. Letting his problems melt away as you kiss him back. When it breaks, you shift so he can curl into your arms. Knowing he needs to be snuggled more than you do. You rub his head gently as he closes his eyes. Content with being safe in your arms.

A few hours later, you unwrap yourself from him, placing a kiss to the top of his head. You head back to your room, hiding your book from sight to stick as best you can with your original cover. You slip into bed, sleeping restlessly for another couple hours until Tara wakes you to notify you of the travels to Peru.