♡Jack♡

(MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR SPOILERS!! Like major spoilers if you haven't read the third book. This is also like really really sad. It's very very sad. So read at your own risk, I guess)
(Hello! Sorry for unpublishing and republishing this(7/16/23), but I read book the books again and there were some things I wanted to change I thought would be better if I unpublished it for. I do believe it's much improved now, but the same warnings still apply.)

With You By My Side

Jack's shout and the resounding sound of a firing gun widens your eyes. Thinking it was Jack who was shot, you scramble to your feet, moving so fast around the truck you can barely skid to a stop. You look him over, sighing with relief when, at first glance, he seems to be alright. His face is twisted with agony, but you know the injuries that were inflicted during his beating and there aren't any new ones.

Your first assessment of the situation did nothing to explain what had happened. It only confirmed to you that Jack is fine and opened more questions. It took your brain much too long to register that Jack is kneeling beside his best friend, his hands covered in blood.

Soft whimpers emulate from both boys. Jack's are sorrowful pleas as he tries to convince Wade to hold on. Jack is well aware there is nothing he can do, but that doesn't stop him from making empty promises. You watch through misty eyes as he talks to his best friend, ignoring the goodbyes Wade tries to exchange. He talks and talks even after his friend's chest has ceased rhythmically rising and falling.

Michael steps forward first. "Jack, he's gone," Jack shakes his head, in denial of the truth.

"Shock him,"

"What?"

"Shock him," Michael looks over at you and you nod. Anything that will help Jack. Michael kneels down, shocking Wade just like Jack asked him to. Having refused to let go, Jack shouts, holding onto Wade's body as it jumps. "Do it again," he says, to which Michael does. It results in the same.

"Jack," You step in, placing a hand on his shoulder. His head whips to look at you, his eyes begging you to tell him this is just a sick joke. That Wade is going to pop up with a grin and say "gotcha!" That Jack is then going to pound him into the dirt, warning Wade not to scare him like that again. He looks deep into your eyes, knowing there's no way you can sugarcoat the truth. "He's gone."

Though he already knows, hearing the words fall from your lips solidifies the reality of the situation. He lets out a choked sob, cradling Wade's body against his chest. He rocks back and forth, inconsolable. You don't try to push yourself in, knowing he needs to be alone with Wade. You wait for an invitation from him and go to sit by Ian when it doesn't come.

"It's all my fault," Ian mumbles. He sits with his back to a tree, his knees pulled up to his chest. You place your hand on his back, rubbing it gently.

"It's not your fault,"

"I should have seen that guard, I don't know why I didn't see that guard." He lays his head on his knees.

"Ian, it's not your fault. You can't see everything at once."

"But the one time I miss something, it's someone's life." He shakes his head. "I appreciate you trying to help, Y/n, but I think I'd rather be alone right now." You nod, granting his request. Standing once more, you move to sit next to Taylor.

She immediately wraps her arms around you, trying to keep you from watching over the heartbreaking scene in front of you. No matter what she does, how she holds you, or how soft she whispers - forcing you to listen only to her - you can still hear Jack's heart wrenching cries.

You'd gotten significantly closer to Wade over the last months. Often times, Jack would drop him to hang out with you, but on the occasion you could convince Jack to let Wade come with. You knew Jack was the only person Wade had and you didn't want to stand in the way of that. You also knew, despite having you, Wade was family to Jack. The two boys needed each other, Wade more-so. For a brief moment, you're happy that it is Wade over Jack. Not just because you would lose him, but because Wade would have no one. No one knew him like Jack and he probably wouldn't know what to do without Jack guiding him.

Once numb and out of tears, Jack crawls away from Wade. His leans his back against a tree, staring at the ground, his bottom lips trembling with barely suppressed rage every now and then. He'd look as if he was about to explode and then he'd glance at Wade's body or the blood staining his hands and barely suppress another breakdown.

Many tried, but all failed to comfort him. With a shake of his head he sent even you away. You sit with Abigail, who promised he'd need you again, watching him suffer through the loss of his family alone. You want, more than anything, to comfort him. You lay your head on Abi's shoulder, feeling more relaxed than ever, still your eyes watch over Jack, waiting for him to invite you in.

After a long while, Jack raises his head, making eye contact with you. His finger taps the ground beside him, beckoning you over. You fill his request quickly, gathering him in your arms once you've sat down beside him. He buries his head in your neck, curling up in your lap. Unsure what to say, you hold him in silence, rocking him back and forth. "Wade loved you, you know." You whisper.

Jack chokes, guilt chewing him up from the inside out. "I was always on his case. I was too hard on him...about everything."

"But Wade knew that you loved him and he loved you." You assure. "We could all see it in his eyes. He'd do anything for you." Jack is silent, doubt seeping in the cracks of his heart. "We all love you." At your statement, Jack breaks down in tears. You kiss the top of his head, holding him until he eventually falls asleep. You don't blame him for doing so, both emotionally and physically exhausted, anyone would have done the same.

You lean back against the tree, your eyes closing themselves just for a small nap. You glance at Michael, fighting against your eyelids to keep them open. He nods back, giving you permission to fall asleep. You smile gratefully, letting your eyes slip closed.

A few hours later, that felt like a couple minutes, Jack stirs. He gives your cheek a soft kiss and pulls himself up out of your lap. You're tired enough you don't think much about this and fall back into deep sleep. Taylor shakes your shoulder just a few minutes later, gently waking you to the sight of Jack digging.

He's drenched in sweat, washing the blood of his hands, the muscles in his arms bulge, but he doesn't stop. He gives you a grim smile when he sees you watching him with tired eyes. It takes your brain a lot longer than you would have liked for it to register that he's digging a grave for Wade. Your eyes soften in understanding. Jack stops when he sees you approaching, wiping the sweat from his forehead.

You place a hand on his arm. "You're a good friend and you were exactly the kind of friend he needed." Jack smiles sadly. "He loved you and he knew you loved him." Jack drops his shovel, wrapping his arms around you. You eagerly accept his hug - disregarding that he stinks.

"Thank you," he says, kissing your cheek softly.

"You know I'll be here for you," you reply. Jack only nods, taking his shovel back.

And you were. When he'd have nightmares, when he'd need comfort, when he'd carved two w's into his skin, when he tried to push people away so he wouldn't get hurt again, you were there for him. And you reminded him he was loved which was all he ever needed.