♡Tanner (Part. 3)♡

(This is lowkey rushed and bad, but who cares. Same warnings apply and this one kinda doesn't make sense unless you've read the book which really s u c k s  but you can still read it and soak in the wordy words. Soooooo, uh yeah. I didn't know whether or not to publish this because I haven't written anything so....that's fun. AnyWadeee enjoy! 3/3)

One Last Time

The jungle is not your favorite place to be, but snuggled against Tanner is a nice plus. He is a lot more comfortable than he looks. So you lay on your side snuggled with your head buried in his chest as he holds you close. He uses one arm as a pillow, the other mindlessly trace circles on the outside of your thigh. Everything is fine. For now everything is fine. It's still daylight.

Tanner doesn't have a good time sleeping. In fact, he hates it. He begs you to let him stay awake. To not make him sleep, but you do. Knowing that his body craves it more than his mind. Left to the desires of his thoughts, he often falls into a pit of despair. He woke up screaming three times in one night. The last time, instead of you, Mrs. Vey comforted the boy. The boy who, when he burst into tears, clung to her. It's all that he has ever wanted. A shoulder to cry on. More importantly, a mother figure to cry to.

When you wake up the next morning, you find Tanner softly gazing at you. His eyes glazing over your features. Taking them all in and smiling at you. It takes a lot of self control for him to not kiss you hard right then and there (once the rest of the team had left, he pulled you a little ways away and kissed you gently).

"You sure you can take down those helicopters?" You ask, resting your forehead against his. You know that he can physically do it, but emotionally it may be a different strain.

"For you guys? Yes. For Hatch? Never again."

Thus, you walked with Raúl, Mrs. Vey, and Tanner through the jungle for a while. Finally settling down at the spot where the other ranchers were. It was decided that Tanner needs you more than everyone else. The less people that are put in danger, the better. If Tanner has to deal with any helicopters he is going to need help and you're the best one to help him.

You sit with your back against a tree, trying to be as comfortable against the bark as you can in your few moments of rest before continuing towards the rendezvous point. Tanner sits beside you, his head on your shoulder, his eyes closed as he rests. Whining every once in a while during his nap. Luckily, so far nothing too drastic has happened. His hand lays in your lap and slowly you pick it up, playing with his fingers, trying to keep yourself calm.

Tanner immediately wakes when the sounds of a chopper reaches his ears, even from far away. A devilish grin crosses his face and then he groans. He looks at you and shakes his head. A frown grazing over his features, replacing the grin.

"I can't do this." He mutters. "I can't do it." You gulp.

"Yes, you can. Once more Tanner, that's all we ask." You say, trying to get him back to the confident boy he once was. "Everyone is counting on you."

"Hatch would say that." He mumbles, stubbing the toe of his shoe into the dirt.

"But we're counting on you because we're your friends and need your help to defeat him. Not because we want world domination." Tanner slowly nods, he turns back around and gazes at the four helicopters. When one of them starts a slow descent to the ground, he springs into action. In a matter of seconds all four of them have hit the ground. Tanner turns back to you and collapses in your arms.

"You did a good job," You whisper, kissing his temple softly. To your surprise Tanner laughs.

"It felt good too." You smile.

"Welcome back." He smiles back at you.

"Glad to finally be here."