Ninomae wore clothes of calm earthy colours, so her smile would be the one smiling the brightest. Because when people saw the smile, they had no idea of the turmoil going on within.

Draco's eyes finally trailed back to his food and only then did he notice the immense silence and the four lads staring at him with amused grins on their faces.

"Malfoy..." Theo drawled intrigued. "Is there something you wish to tell us?"

Draco glared, scrunching up his nose, perfectly masking the way he felt his palms become sweaty. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Theo and Balise exchanged a smirk, where Crabbe looked uncomfortable and Goyle was simply amused. 

"Welcome," Blaise huffed, patting the boy's shoulder from across the table.

"Welcome what?"

"Not surprising," Theo ignored his question, "I will say..."

"Ninomae though?" Blaise inquired and Goyle sneered along with a nod.

"She's gonna be an even harder nut to crack than Greengrass is, mate."

"And Blaise and Greengrass are best friends unlike the two of you."

"Daph tells me," Blaise perked up, forever more excited at the mention of his dearest friend, "she thinks Ninomae's never actually liked anyone. She- no, I can't say that..." he paused filtering through the rant the blonde had had the previous day, wondering what he could and couldn't tell. "They had a fight too yesterday. Went past an injured first-year and Ninomae didn't even bat an eyelid. Said she didn't care. Can you imagine?"

"She can be brutal," Theo nodded, remembering the way her and him had turned Blaise down a year prior.

Draco raised his head from the boys to glance at Ninomae momentarily as he for the thousandth time wondered what it was she constantly hid. She was a mystery that never ceased to be, only becoming more and more complicated with every new thing he found out about her. He couldn't figure how much she actually hid from the common public but he had an inkling she hid a lot.

"Sometimes she scares me," Crabbe mumbled earning a loud cackle from Goyle who looked like he had just remembered something.

It wasn't that Ninomae wasn't a happy person. Most of the time the girl genuinely was as amused and entertained as she held herself to be. She could find the sunshine in any person and situation. Though what made her different from any other person Draco had met was that she was happy even when she wasn't. Her laugh echoed louder when she didn't feel like laughing at all. 

"Earlier this year," Goyle explained for his friend, "Ninomae convinced him Snape had taken his quill. This idiot," he laughed, "went straight up to him and demanded it back."

She only ever didn't grin when she was mad at somebody. Astrid Ninomae made everything out to be fun.

Draco turned back to face his friends and absolutely loathed the look Theo was giving him.

"Why would you ever ask for anything Snape had taken? He despises you," Draco spoke, his voice laced with amusement.

Draco had learned it impossible to tell what Ninomae was truly thinking for sometimes she laughed just as loud while genuinely being happy too. He couldn't figure if she cared for what he had told her yesterday and he couldn't figure what response he rather prefered.

"She said it was a good idea!" Crabbe exclaimed, his eyes wide.

Theo cackled proudly, "but that was funny!"

"Wait, you knew?"

"Naturally," the boy shrugged, "I dared her to."

"You did?" It was now Balsie's curious inquiry.