48. Maledictus Curse

1980 – One month before Astoria's birth

"I am sorry Miss, but the baby will not be born alive at this rate. We do not understand why but with every passing day she grows weaker. We cannot stop it nor slow it. I will allow you to make the proper arrangements with your husband. I really do sympathize with you both." The muggle doctor packed up his medical bag and scurried out of the Greengrass estate.

Eloise laid upon the bed sobbing quietly to herself and Thomas began to pace around their room.

"Darling, I cannot bare to lose this child. We have lost so many, and she is nearly to term- I – I cannot bare this I cannot- "Eloise began to hyperventilate before Thomas took her into a tight embrace.

"Shhh-my love. I promise you I will fix this." Thomas stroked his wife's head gently, but she cried uncontrollably into his chest.

Thomas and Eloise longed for a child ever since they were married. In Eloise's family it was difficult for the women to conceive, almost impossible. Eloise had suffered three miscarriages before becoming pregnant with her current baby girl. When she found out she was carrying a girl the nursey was instantly painted light purple, and the walls were lined with tiny roses. Thomas infused the walls of the nursey to have a never-ending scent of lavender, to induce peaceful sleep for his child.

Eloise was almost thirty-five weeks pregnant, and for the past month she has been on strict bed rest. The baby was becoming more inactive with every week, and during the second trimester is when the fetus should be kicking its mother quite frequently, but this baby was not. One day when Eloise was gardening in the front of the estate she was struck with a throbbing pain in her abdominal area, and when she stood up, she looked down at her legs to see them dripping with blood. Ever since then she has been confined to her bed. The Greengrass' have had every muggle obstetrician examine Eloise and each of them keep repeating the same, the fetus is becoming weaker every day. In the 1980s there was no such practice of magical pregnancies yet, so the Greengrass' were objected to listen to the muggle practitioners' commands.

"I believe I might of some assistance Thomas." A dark figure said standing in the doorway of the bedroom.

Thomas jumped up and Eloise furrowed her brows. "Who are you?" Eloise inquired.

"I am the savior of your unborn child." The dark figure said as he began to walk into the room slowly.

"You- I know you. You are the wizard Wormtail informed me about. I listened to the tale, but I did not believe him. Can you actually help us?" Thomas said looking pathetic.

The dark wizard stood next to Eloise and grasped her hand, ignoring Thomas. "My dear, I make you a promise. This child will be beautiful of face and the most powerful witch that walks this Earth. And you will have the honor of being her mother."