31. The Bloody Dark Mark

1996

1996

Astoria awoke to the feeling of her head being pushed with force by the door. She had given herself a panic attack, passed out against the dormitory door and Pansy was at the door.

Astoria immediately rushed herself off the floor and sat on her nearby trunk, while rubbing the back of her head. Pansy busted the door open.

"What the bloody hell are you doing against the door, Astoria?" Pansy exclaimed.

"I'm sorry I was- I think I passed out." Astoria muttered.

Pansy furrowed her brows and examined her friend. Pansy put her hand under Astoria's chin, lifting her head and realizing that Astoria's eyes were bloodshot.

"Care to tell me why it looks like you have been crying?"

Astoria was in no emotional state to come clean to Pansy about everything she experienced over the summer. It was bad enough that people were spreading rumors about what happened the night in the Ministry, but now more than ever she did not want to think about what her life newly entailed.

"I was not crying. I just smoked a little too much muggle weed Lilla gave me. You know how that rubbish turns your eyes red." Astoria lied.

After a few hours of unpacking and listening to how much Pansy enjoyed spending the summer in Paris with her family, the girls made their way for the dinner feast.

When they sat at the Slytherin table Astoria was happy to see all her old friends. Lilla was back and already talking about how much she loathes her family. Blaise shared with the group how Pansy and him decided to end their union. Astoria was surprised by this news, since the last time she saw them together they were smitten. Theo was nowhere to be seen, per usual. One figure Astoria immediately noticed missing from the table was Draco. Perhaps he was arriving late, or he was with Theo drinking in the common room. A usual night activity the pair often partook in.

Astoria, being the nosey-nancy she is, decided to ask the group about Malfoy's whereabouts.

"Where is Draco?" Astoria inquired while turning her head to face her friends.

"I'dunno. Best guess he is drinking with Nott in the dungeons." Blaise said.

"You're asking about Malfoy? Are we worried about poor daddy's boy?" Lilla said sarcastically while nudging Astoria playfully.

Astoria cracked a slight smile and nudged her back while muttering "No."

"If I know Draco, which I do, he is probably drinking fire whiskey and cursing up Hogwarts with Nott." Pansy exclaimed while biting into her steak.

Astoria decided to drop the subject. She did not want the group to think she was smitten with Draco, which she was not. She was merely concerned for him, given his situation.