40. The Opera

Author's Note: I recommend listening to the playlist I have tagged above. It was the inspiration I needed for this chapter. Enjoy!

1997

Astoria walked into the opera house and looked up to see a large diamond filled chandelier hanging from the ceiling. The walls were covered with eighteenth century paintings and the music from the orchestra was blaring from all ends. The performance was to begin in approximately thirty minutes, so the couple decided to stroll around the inside of the opera house.

Just as Draco and Astoria turned a corner there, she saw them. Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy were attending the opera as well. Astoria felt her hand clutch Draco's forearm tighter until she heard him in her head.

"Play it cool. Do not falter." Draco said using legilemns to enter her mind.

Astoria raised her head and kept her coolness while prancing over to the Malfoy's. Narcissa was dressed in a black and white laced gown, with her hair up in a bun following curled tendrils rounding her face. Lucius was dressed as Draco was, in a tuxedo with gold-colored cufflinks. With every sharp clatter of Lucius' cane Astoria felt her heart skip a beat. There was something about Lucius that made Astoria add a few layers to her exterior wall.

"Draco, I am surprised to see you." Lucius said plainly. Then he peered over at Astoria. "I see we brought a guest..erm." Lucius' eyes bulged out and his face turned cold. He was obviously not pleased to see Astoria at the opera with his son.

"Miss. Greengrass, lovely to see you again. If you ladies will excuse me, I require a few moments with Draco, alone." Lucius spat while turning to his side to guide Draco out of the room.

Narcissa's warm smile met Astoria's eyes and she held out her gloved hand. "Walk with me, my dear?"

Astoria took her hand and Narcissa linked their arms. She watched Draco walk out of the room with Lucius and a pit began to form in her stomach. Narcissa guided Astoria to their loge viewing area for the opera. Narcissa shooed all prying ears away and sat with Astoria.

"My dear, you should not be here." Narcissa said shakily while gripping Astoria's hand.

Astoria cocked her head and furrowed her brows. Why would she not be allowed to attend an opera performance? Was it the idea that Draco was being seen with a woman?

"I do not understand I- "

"Draco was told specifically to keep his distance from you." Narcissa interjected sharply.

Astoria knew that it was risky for her and Draco to continue seeing one another, but they were drawn like magnets. Wherever she went, Draco followed, wherever Draco went she did. There was no separating them.