𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈 ー 𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄

Opening the door, the man's expression morphs into one of concern as a snivelling Sierra wipes her cheek with the back of her fingers. "Sorry to just show up in the middle of the night... I didn't know where else to go."

One look at her neck and Diego's eyes become anything but gentle and inviting. "What happened?"

"He didn't mean it."

"Sierra."

"Grayson just got so mad." His shoulders droop at the name. A lopsided sense of relief to hear it wasn't the other sibling. "Kaden kept hitting himー I didn't know what to do. Could I stay here. Just for a little while."

Offering a consoling nod, he wraps an arm around her shoulders as she steps inside. Eiza poking her head out once they sit on the sofa. Tying the belt of her silk baby pink robe into a bow.

"I'm sorry, I didn't want to wake you."

"Rosa does a pretty good job of that on her own." She smiles kindly to fend off her guilt. "I'll make you some tea."

"I'll go back tomorrow."

"You'll go back when you're ready." Diego drapes a blanket around her shoulders. "This isn't something you should rush."

"I keep telling myself he didn't mean it. But I'm not so sure anymore."

"He's complicated." He rubs her back soothingly. "He most likely didn't but he can't help himself. It's in his nature to lash out; it's an instinct for him. His life is filled with violence and uncertainty. It's just who he is."

"Why do I keep thinking I can change people who don't wanna change?"

"Because you're too good for this world."

She leans into him. "Thanks for being the brother I never had."

His lips curl upwards, the arm tightening a little around her shoulders. "Thanks for being the sister I never had."

□ ■ □

"He's calling again." Eiza holds up her buzzing phone. "I think you should at least answer him this time. So he doesn't worry to the point where he kicks our door down."

"I don't have anything to say." Sierra slowly rises from the couch to take her phone. "I spoke to him the morning after, I doubt anything has changed since then."

He was a wreck. Sounded as miserable as he looked. It pained her to hear him like that but he was too stubborn to listen so she temporarily gave up.

"You never know. It's getting harder for me to predict his next move these days." She finishes placing the toys back into the wicker basket. "I'm surprised he hasn't barged in already."

"Me too."

"You're missing him. I can tell."

"I just want to teach them a lesson."

"You don't need to punish yourself in the process. It's been almost two weeks, I'd say they'll have learnt by now. Maybe not. But there's only one way to find out."