𝐈𝐈𝐈 ー 𝐁𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐃𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐃

Once the door is opened, the man is dumbfounded to find the dispirited woman on his doorstep. Almost choking on his own saliva when he speaks. "Sierra. Goodness I didn'tー"

"This is the last place I want to be but I literally have nowhere else to go. I just need a place to crash tonight."

Andrew nods rapidly. "Of course. Come in, come in. Take the guest room. It's all yours for as long as you need it."

"Thanks."

Her name being uttered brings her feet to a stop on the staircase. "Are you in trouble?" His eyes glisten with concern. The wall between them is gradually chipped away by his worry.

She nods. "Yeah. Yeah I'm in trouble. I don't know how things will play out so if I don't make it out of this alive, I want you to know you were a good boss." His brows upturn. "You had your moments but you did look after me. Thank you for everything."

"Of course." A hand strays from his pocket. "You were my best employee." He nods sadly. Watching her disappear to the guest room within the penthouse.

□ ■ □

Flicking through hotels both nearby and miles away from her location, the vibrations of her phone on the desk pulls her focus from the laptop. Reading the name she swiftly answers the call and rises to her feet.

"What's wrong? Is everything okay?"

"Everything's fine." Hayley assures. "Where the hell are you? I woke up to find the house empty and I got worried. Are you okay?"

"Yeah." Sierra bends a leg and perches on the end of the bed. "Yeah I'm okay. I'm sorry I didn't give much of an explanation but I had to leave. It wasn't safe for you."

"I read your note." Hayley leans against the kitchen counter with it in hand. "Very brief. Very vague. Has your name written all over it." The couple smile.

"I'll come back eventually. Once it's safer."

"At least I have that to look forward to." She rests her elbows on the marbled surface. "I take it I'm not allowed to know where you are."

She glimpses the closed door. "I'm... Staying at a friend's. They were sort of a last resort."

"Well I have an idea based on the tone of your voice but I won't say anything to anyone. Is hopping from one house to another your plan for now?"

"I don't really have a plan at the moment. Yesterday kind of complicated things for me."

"One step at a time, right?"

"Right."

"Preston's home tomorrow. Won't be as much fun without you here but I'm counting on you to keep me updated when you can. Just tell me you're safe and you're okay so I don't go completely insane."

"I will, I promise. Listen, after tonight only call this number for emergencies. I'll text whenever I can to keep you in the loop but I have to be careful. If I lose my phone and they trace the calls to you it could end badly."