𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈 ー 𝐃𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐒

Fingers at a loss on what to fumble with, Sierra leans against the wall. "I have an appointment tomorrow. Think we'll find out whether we're having a girl or boy."

Warmth spirals through his eyes which dip to her swollen belly. He tosses his phone onto the bed to gift her his undivided attention.

"I'm nervous. I don't know why."

"You're new to this." He lowers into the chair situated by the wall to floor windows. "We both are." He might be inclined to admit his knees feel a little weak if she were to lure it out of him.

Her head bows. "I don't want anything bad to happen. I don't think I could handle another loss. Not this one."

Glimpsing his outstretched hand she steps further into the room to take it, letting him guide her closer until she's standing between his legs. Hands gliding over his broad shoulders.

"Everything will be okay. They're strong like you."

"I'm also a murderer."

"We'll raise them right. We'll do a better job with them."

"Promise?"

Cracking a smile and linking his little finger with hers, she smiles back when he guides her to his thigh. It doesn't surprise her that he can still manoeuvre her like she weighs nothing, but it certainly sends butterflies through her.

"What's an appropriate age to teach them how to use a gun?" He questions out of nowhere, after a few beats of silence. Large hand smoothing over her bare knee.

"Never." She nudges his shoulder.

"So ten?" Her laughter carries through the peaceful bedroom.

□ ■ □

Positioned on the edge of the table with her legs dangling over the edge, nails subconsciously dig into the skin of her hands harsh enough to leave crescent moons in their wake. Kaden's enveloping her left one draws her attention from the wall.

"It's gonna be okay." She manages only a nod of her head and he leans down to kiss her forehead. Eyes fluttering until the door clicks open.

"Hope I'm not interrupting a moment." The woman smiles and takes a seat to her right. "I'm Dianne. How are we feeling?"

Kaden takes notice of her apprehension and chooses to speak up on her behalf. "She's anxious." Sierra squeezes his hand as a thank you for answering. Painting on a brave face as she's gestured to lie down.

"It's completely normal to worry. I hope I can ease some of your stress for you today." She nods and smiles to them both. "Before we begin, do you wish to know the sex of the baby?"

Sierra nods.

"Okay then." Dianne smiles warmly. "Relax, this will feel cold." The gel is swirled atop her exposed belly. While Sierra refuses to look at the scar, Kaden scowls at it. "Little bit of pressure." She warns before the transducer is traced across the surface.

Feeling her hand tighten around his he runs his fingers through her hair. Part of her doesn't want to look in case something is wrong but she can't tear her eyes away from the side of the screen.