Chapter 8

That night you struggled to sleep again, nerves and excitement made it impossible to get any shut eye

That night you struggled to sleep again, nerves and excitement made it impossible to get any shut eye. You decided to pick up your book and read a little to take your mind off things. Suddenly, you heard a noise which startled you and resembled a cry for help. Confused, you wandered to your door and placed and ear to it, you heard the noise again this time clearer.

"No! I didn't mean it, I swear" It sounded like Loki. Quietly you crept to your neighbour's door and gently knocked.

"Loki" You whispered. "Are you okay?" You were greeted by silence, there was no answer. Knocking a little louder this time you repeated what you had previously said. Still there was no answer. You could hear movement from behind the door and some incoherent mummers. You tried the handle and the found the door to be unlocked, much to your surprise. You argued with yourself whether or not you should enter his room. You decided it was for the best, if the team found out that he was crying out in his sleep he would never hear the end of it.

"Loki?... Loki?" You fumbled your way blindly hitting objects that were unfamiliar to you. Once yours eyes had adjusted to the dark, you found Loki tossing and truing in his bed. You tapped him lightly attempting to wake him up from his nightmare.

"Loki" You gently shook him.

Suddenly and with swift movement, he leapt from his bed and produced a dagger which he held to your throat. With a snig be clasped your upper arm and held it, so you were unable to move.

"What are you doing!" He whisper shouted.

"You were having a nightmare and I could hear you form across the hall. I was trying to do you a favour so the team wouldn't find out" He released you and you put your hand up to your throat where the dagger had been.

"I could have killed you" He barked.

"I won't bother next time then" You barked back. He relaxed a little and long, awkward silence lingered in air.

"Thank you" He mumbled quietly.

"Was that a thank you?" You asked out of shock.

"Yes" He didn't look at you, instead he tilted his head to stare at his bed sheets.

"You're welcome. I get them too... nightmares that is".

"You know not of what plagues my mind" He said softly.

"I don't, but I understand how real they can feel".

"Yes, they can feel real. Sorry, I just don't know who I can trust and who I cannot. My mind is all over the place". You were stunned by his honesty, it was almost as if God of lies didn't fit his title any more. "You do know that I can read your mind sometimes right?" Yours eyes widened.

Shit.

"Yes, indeed" He laughed slightly. "And I thought your act of flirting the other day was rather, how do you mortals put it... cute" What was happening, this wasn't the Loki that had been sulking over the tower the past week. This wasn't the Loki who had just put a dagger to your throat and this certainly wasn't the Loki who tried to take over New York.

"Wait, you can read my thoughts?" You asked rather embarrassed.

"Yes, only sometimes. Its like you have barrier up occasionally and it intrigues me. How do you do that?"

"I don't know" You answer honestly. "A lot of strange things have happened to me recently. Do know anything about that? Being magic or whatever." You asked him.

"Not entirely, however if I look into your mind I might" He placed his hands either side of your head, a finger on both of your temples. He was so close to you, your faces almost could touch and it made your stomach turn. "May I?" He asked you to which you nodded. A few seconds go by.

"You have a strong source of magic living inside you lady Y/N, but not any magic I am familiar with" He looked annoyed with himself for not knowing the answer.

"Could you help me?... Help me, I don't know, use it?".

"And why would I do that?" He raised his eyebrows.

"As you said, you're not a total monster".