Chapter 1; Claire Curvel

"Come on Claire wake up," someone groaned from above me

"Come on Claire wake up," someone groaned from above me. From the pathetic whine that followed I knew right away it was my older brother Randall.

I rolled over, opening one eye to peek up at him annoyed -my voice coming out groggily as I spoke. "You said I could sleep in this morning," I reminded. "So let me sleep." I rolled back over and yanked the green blanket we shared over my head in defiance.

I could hear Randall mutter something under his breathe before his footsteps slowly retreated away from me. I smiled -figuring I won the argument for once. I sighed in content, closing my eyes and began to lull back into a dreamless slumber. At least I tried. That is until I started to feel bad that Randall would have to go on the run by himself if I didn't decide to. The group we were with didn't seem to like us much, I guess that's considering we were still only teenagers and the other men couldn't really rely much on us to do dirty work. Sure there was Abby, the woman who took me and Randall into the group, that made sure we were always all right, and Jane who was pretty nice, but nobody else really gave two shits about us.

I sat up -rubbing my tired eyes in pure exhaustion and stretching my arms above my head. I wiped the bead of sweat from the back of my neck before standing up and stripping my tank top and pajama pants off. I pulled on the white v-neck and flannel Abby washed for me yesterday, and then my jeans that no longer fit me since I seemed to be losing weight a lot from lack of eating. I tied my dirty hair up into a knotty bun and zipped my boots onto my feet -grabbing my machete in the hand that didn't have two busted up knuckles and running out of the small storage room Randall and I stayed in within a few minutes. More than enough time for me to easily catch up to my older brother.

I passed by Tony and Nate, frowning in distaste as they snickered at me. I hate them. If there were no brainers surrounding us, I'd be sure to push them forward as bait. "Randy wait up," I shouted in his direction.

He turned around at the sound of his nickname, stopping short at the blockage of cars, a giant smile on his face as he gripped tightly onto the pistol he found a couple of weeks back. He barely even knew how to use the thing. "Thought I was gonna have to cover my own back for the first time," He told me as I slowed down and stood in front of him. "You could have slept in 'ya know, I did promise ya"

I nodded, rolling my eyes as we climbed over the cars and jumped down. "I wanted to, but I'd rather stick around someone I can trust."

Randall nodded his head in understanding; bumping into me playfully before swinging his arm over my shoulder as we walked along the empty road back into town. "I know you still aren't comfortable in that group, but have a lil' faith al'right"

"Okay," I answered simply. It's easier said than done. I don't want to end up arguing about it all over again with him. It was starting to get old. I still remember that first week we even came into the group. I know Randall keeps trying to act like it didn't happen, but it did and I'm never going to forgive those bastards for that. Not even Abby and Jane who just sat around and did nothing. The only reason me and Randall stay is because it's a group and you need a group to survive or you'll end up dead fast.