"Um, well we were having fun! Why do you guys want to leave?" Mia aske batting her eyes.

I rolled mine. And then looked at my watch. "Mia its almost 2:30. Were both tired. And neither of us has a cute boy to talk to and hang out with." I smiled at Callum. I may as well try to get him to like me if he's going to start dating my best  friend.

"Why don't I drive Mia home? She only lives a block from here. Heck we could walk it's so close." Callum said.

"I am not walking home in these heels." Mia chimed in, pointing down to her sparkly pink stilettos that stuck out against her tight black dress.

"Okay, so I'll drive when your ready to go. That way your friends don't have to hang around, since their not having fun at my party!" Callum said sarcastically with a laugh.

Belle and I looked at each other, I could tell she didn't like the idea of this plan either.

We didn't know Callum well enough to know how he would treat Mia alone for the rest of the night.

"Are you sure you'll be okay Mia?" Belle asked.

"Of course, if you guys really want to get out of here is fine. I'll text you when I get home!" Mia replied.

Belle and I shared another  look.

"You guys can trust me, I'll take good care of her." Callum said.

"Okay, but if you don't text me by 4 I'm sending the cops out in a search party." Belle said.

Callum and Mia both laughed. "Okay, she'll be home by 4." Callum replied.

"Okay good." We hugged Mia goodbye, and we walked outside and made our way to Belle's car.

It felt like it had gotten colder since I had last been out here. I pulled my black leather jacket tighter around my shouders, and stuffed my hands deep into the pockets.

I let out a deep breath of hot air into the cold night and got into Belle's car.

The smell of the leather seats mixed wih the cold winter night made me happy to be outside of the smelly beer and sweat infested party.

Once I shut the door behind me Belle looked at me.

"Are you okay? What actually happened out there?" She asked sounding worried.

"Yup. All good, was just getting super bored." I replied.

"You don't seem okay. I know how you are about the wolves. Was this one of the ones you always watch? How did it know you were in trouble? Did it follow you to the party? I don't understand." She said qucickly, probably trying to piece the situation together just like I've been trying for years.

I sighed. I knew she would question me. "Belle, I really don't have answers for you. I wish I did. I mean this isn't the first time the wolves have saved me. You remember when I broke my ankle? And that time I got sick at that party a year ago? And when my car broke down? I mean, I don't know. He just showed up as Dom was grabbing me and trying to tell me I owed him sexual favors for boosting my image. He just jumped out of the woods and threw Dom to the ground. It was crazy. I mean I knew Dom was going to hurt me, I knew he was going to try to rape me. He's big enough to over power me, so I didn't think I'd get away in time. But then the wolf  came and saved me. It was just... just a miracle that he was there, and knew what to do. And then I jumped in and broke it up." I explained everything that happened. She just stared back at me in shock.

"Woah. Wait, why did you save Dom? You should have let the wolf kill him!" She exclaimed.

"I couldn't do that! I don't want him dead. I just wanted him off of me." I answered.

"Well, wow. Just wow Krys. How does this shít only happen to you? I mean, it seems everytime you happen to be in danger, or hurt, those wolves come and save you. I wish I had a pack of protective wolves who followed me around." Belle said as she turned a corner.

"No, no you don't. Take that back." Tears started to well up in my eyes, so I paused, trying to gather my thoughts. "Belle. Look at me. Tell me I'm normal. Tell me that this obsession hasn't made me the laughing stock of the town. Maybe the wolves recognize me as an ally, or maybe even a friend, and not as an enemy, but it doesnt change the fact that I'm weird and my interest in them has ruled my life for as long as I can remember... So, no. No you don't want to be me who has has a protective wolf pack that follows her everywhere." I was getting upset now. My heart was racing and my forehead was starting to drip.

"Okay. Okay. Your right. I know it's not easy having the... the interests you have. It just seems nice to have... I don't know, some sort of connection with someone or something who can protect you. I know you don't have it easy being, well you. But that's why I love you. Because you're you. And I wouldn't want you any other way." She said with a smile and she placed her hand in mine.

I loved Belle for trying to comfort me. But even she knew it was pointless. I'd always be the weird one. Even before the wolves.

I sighed and slumped my head down. 

I just wanted to go home and see him.

Belle dropped me off at my door and hugged me goodbye.

"Have a good night Krys. I love you. And I'm glad your wolf saved you tonight. Dom's a prïck he deserved whatever your wolf gave to him." She smiled and I got out of the car.

I went inside and went upstairs to get ready for bed. 

▪▪▪

I ripped off the skin tight pants and the rest of my ensemble and put on my long sleeved pink flannel night gown that hung just below my knees and a pair of white thermals. I wasnt trying to dress for success here, so I looked pretty lame.

Putting my winter coat on I walked up to my attic, anxious to see him after what happened tonight. 

Opening the door to the outside ledge I walked out and just sat on the ground crossed legged, close to the edge of the balcony.

I gazed up at the stars marveling at their otherworldly beauty.

I heard movement in the forest below, which was strange because he never normally made a noise, but rather moved silently and undetected by the world around him.

He came running from out of the tree line to the edge of the woods and my backyard.

Running like his life depended on it. Running so fast, as if the start our night of watching eachother was the most important thing in the world.

▪▪▪