27

"So, how old are you Travis? Are you in Krystal's grade?" Mrs. Burke asked me with a sweet smile on her face.

I could see Krystal visibly pale from her mother's question.

She looked remarkably uncomfortable with this situation.

Her grandfather and brother Charlie were sitting across from me, woth her mother seated at the head of the table, and Krystal sat to my right.

"Actually, I just turned 20. I graduated a year ago. I work at my families business, with my Dad and Grandfather. We have a wildlife preserve and clinic where we take care of hurt and abused animals and nurse them back to health, and then let them roam free on our land."

"Wow. Well that's amazing! How wonderful of you and your family to take of the animals like that." Mrs. Burke replied. "How did your family get into the business?" She asked sincerely.

"Well my family has lived around this area for over a century and have lived alongside nature and animals. I think my grandfather just felt it was his duty if he was going to live near the wild, he had to at least take care of it as well. And I guess it just turned into a family affair." I finished.

Mrs. Burke smiled again and then Charlie jumped in to the conversation, "So if your like 20, how did you and Krystal meet?"

My mates eyes looked like they were gonna pop put of her skull.

"Well I graduated from Trenton High last year. I have an early birthday, so that's why I'm already 20. But I'm really only a year older than Krystal."

She seemed to relax a bit more in her seat as I explained.

Lucky for us living your life as half man, half wolf makes you think quick on your feet when asked difficult questions.

Lucky for me as well, my family actually does own a wildlife preserve and clinic as a cover story.

Krystal's grandfather had been remarkably silent through most o the dinner untjil he said, "Damn kids, we must have the heat up too high. I'm dyin' in here. Gotta pop open a window." He got up and moved over to the windows where he crankhed the 2 big front windows over looking part of the woods.

Now it was my turn for my eyes to widen at the thought of the chilly winter air coming through the window and forcing me to turn. I knew have to truly start fighting hard once the brittle wind blows through the front windows.

"Really Gramps? I'm freezing over here!" Krystal exclaimed while looking at me.

"That's because you got no meat on them bones. I think it's rather refreshing, don't ya think boy?" He deeply grumbled with his raspy voice.

Her Grandfather turned to look in my direction. "Huh? Oh yeah. It's been a pretty mild winter so far." I replied in a daze, waiting for the cold to hit me.

It never did. I sat there in wonder, feeling the wind blowing through the house, but the cold wasn't affecting me like I was used to.

Maybe it was because I could feel her warmth right next to me.

I believe that my mates presence was a good thing for my wolf and the cold.

Once we finished eating, I started to help Krystal clean the dishes as her mom made tea and pulled out some cookies.

"I have to go back soon." I whispered to her as I passed her a plate to dry.

The heat from her body sizzled it's way up my arms as our hands touched spreading warmth all the way to my core.