Chapter 19 - I can't

Heads turned to you and the peculiar couple. "What happened to what I gave you?"

"Sorry, Nat I'm not trying to look like a grandma," buttoning up the blazer, Nat flicked some hair away from your face and pinching your cheeks. "Ow!"

"Weak,"

You ignored her remark and looked to Loki who was busying himself by picking at the skin of his palms. "You alright?"

He snaps his gaze up to meet your eye, "yes, quite, don't worry," his body slumped against the wall with a narrow gaze at the floor.

"Don't worry, if anyone pulls anything I'll send their ass to Assberg,"

"Asgard," he corrects playfully. "Thank you,"

"No problem, Lokes," nudging him lightly as you stood beside him, the doors suddenly opened to show Pepper. "Well, that's all I need, I can go back now,"

"Who's that?" Pepper looked to Tony who quickly did a run down. "I'm going to pretend that made sense," she smiles at you, your small wave shying away. "You're on in 10 seconds, don't fuck this up, or embarrass yourself," Tony's tie was adjusted under her grasp.

"Yes, ma'am," he nods, a small blush creeping up.

"They are so cute," you mumble to Peter who nods frantically; now, Peter needed to stay behind, can't have the world knowing he's Spidey or too acquainted with the team.

~~~

"Loki is on the team, has proven his good worth and that is final. He poses no threat whatsoever to anyone on the team or this planet," Steve declared, "his actions in New York are in the past, as you have forgiven Bucky, forgive Loki too, the lives taken cannot be forgotten but forgiveness can be given,"

"And who is this woman?" Reporters looked to you cowering in the corner. How the hell did the readers in the other books do this??

"Y/n L/n, resident but details are not needed," Tony brushes you off to your relief. "Now, any questions about Loki?"

"How can we trust him?"

"Because we trust him," Clint sighs.

"How do we know he's not controlling you all?"

"If he was, he wouldn't have me under that spell for long," Wanda assures.

"You can't go from trying to take over New York to an Avenger,"

"He's not an Avenger-"

"So he's not a hero? Why should we trust him?"

"He's a good man-"

"He's a trickster, he could be lying,"

"My brother may be a trickster and the god of lies but I've dealt with him enough to know sincerity from him," Thor's grip was tightening around Mjolnir, seams of his suit edging to break from the tension.

"What can we expect to happen if the government doesn't believe you?"

"They can expect us to stand by our decision," Nat's arm's folded menacingly.

"And if you fail to stand? Can we be assured that Loki will receive the right punishment for his terror attack?"

"Loki, you need to tell them it wasn't your fault," you look to the god who was drumming his fingers nervously against the back of his hand.

"No, I can't," he whispers after doing a double take of your words. "Please, let them deal with it without the information,"

"Alright," you nod in understanding but your tapping foot spoke for itself.

Loki felt your arm brush against his, breath caught in his throat. He needed comfort, his heart was racing rapidly in fear of the retaliation planned formed by the Midgardians. The pinky of his right hand linked with yours making your face heat up, but the contact calmed you.

While the questions were answered quickly, you could hear the frustration in the teams voice as they answered as best they could. Then that deafening blast hit, a beam of purple cutting through the structure of the room and shattering the glass.

Loki shielded you away, his armour shimmering on as Thor struck himself with lightning to change into his armour. Nano overtook most of the team that needed their suit as the others took their weapons out.

Screams broke out as people bust through the crumbling door with large weapons. They held masks over their features as the weapons loaded with a purple glow.

"Chitauri cores, black-market weapons," Peter ran in with his suit on, informing the team. "I knew there were still some out there but Karen said most was shipped to Russia,"

"Are you okay?" Loki checked you for wounds before drawing daggers out. "I said, are you okay??"

"Yes, yes, I'm fine," you cough at the clouding debris in the air. Another blast was shot through causing a camera to blow up, your gasp taking in too much dust. Loki conjured his black handkerchief with his name embroidered in green, holding it to your lips and hopefully filtering any fumes from entering.

"Hold this up, don't show yourself," he moved the table to hide you and flicked his hair back. "It will keep you safe,"

~~~

A shorter chapter than usual maaf (maaf is sorry in Indonesian)

- Anna ❤️