S I X T Y - E I G H T

Ali's POV:

I held the pipe cleaners up in place while Evan applied the hot glue to our poster. We have two more pop-out things to add to it before we're actually complete and able to put it to the side until its due date. We're allowed to turn the projects in early if they're ready but I want to hand in my project myself so I'll be waiting until I go back to school.

"Watch out for my fingers Evan" I moved them further down the pipe cleaner.

"I'm not going to glue you to the board Ali" Evan smiled up at me.

"Could've fooled me" I held up my index finger that had a strand of glue flowing on it.

Evan opened his mouth to talk but paused for a second "That was an accident" he pulled it off.

"Mhm, I bet it was" I chuckled.

"If anyone would purposely glue anyone to anything it would be you gluing me to something" Evan laughed with me.

I pushed the pipe cleaner against the hot glue glob "Yeah I could see myself gluing you to something"

"What would it be?" Evan started gluing applying glue for the next one.

"Hm?"

"What would you glue me to, slowpoke?" he rephrased his question as I connected the next pipe cleaner.

"Mmm" I started brainstorming "A few weeks ago I'd say rocket and then launch it into space" Evan raised his eyebrows in amusement "But now I'd say a shopping cart and push down that one hill we used to go down in that park we used to take a bus to go to"

"Citer Park" Evan remembered the name for me "Which sounded like Cider to you so you started calling it Apple Cider park" he gazed at me "I think I'm okay with that"

He was reading me with those green eyes that at this moment were a vibrant green from the sun shining against them, making them as green as sea moss. But it wasn't just the color it was the way he was looking at me. He was trying to get in my head to know what I'm thinking without me saying. It was something we always did with the other whenever one of us didn't want to talk, the craziest thing is that it always seemed to work.

"Don't look at me like that" I scoffed and let go of the pipe cleaner that was now stuck to the poster.

"Like what?" Evan grinned.

"Like we're fourteen again" I sighed.

Evan started putting glue for the third pipe "Weren't we friends when we were fourteen?"

Fuck, he got me.

"Yes, we were" I claimed our friendship.

"So what's the issue with me looking at you the same way?"

I connected the pipe to the glue before it dried "You know why"

Evan shrugged continuing to add glue for the last pipe cleaner "Thought we were past that but I forgot how long you could hold a grudge"

My smile dropped "I wasn't talking about that but thanks for reminding me" I pushed the thin furry stick into the hot glue "I was referring to the fact that you're looking at me all lovey-dovey and I have a boyfriend"

Evan nodded "Well you're not returning the look so what's wrong?"

I heavily exhaled and rolled my eyes "You haven't changed"

I hopped up prepared to leave my room and him in it but he jumped up just as fast grabbing my wrist to prevent me from walking away.

"No no, no wait Ali please" he held on "I'm sorry. I swear I have."