27.

•NAJMA's POV•

"Now son tell me, why is your face swollen and what brings you here ?" mums questions Tariq as she's serving me her famous soupe that is apparently good for stress relief but before he could utter a word, she adds "—oh and why are you with Najma ? Don't you know she's married ? Don't you remember running away from her like the coward you—"

"—mum don't scold him please, he hasn't done anything" I immediately cut her mid sentence before she says anything she'll regret.

She turns to me looking right into my eyes with the word disbelief written clearly on her forehead as she furrows her brows.

"What do you mean he hasn't done anything Najma ? He could've spoken to you if he didn't want it instead of running away, he was supposed to man up and say it" she says it as calmly as possible.

"Mum calm down please"

"Yes aunt Maryam please calm down, I'll explain everything" Tariq says, hysterically nodding his head up and down.

"Well I'm all ears on you" she sits on her seat and starts looking at us one after the other. Oh mum.

"Mrs. Maryam, I'm really sorry for leaving Najma the way I did"

"Mhm what next ?" mum asks dryly and Tariq starts speaking again, explaining why he did what he did. Apparently he didn't want to marry me at that time because he wasn't sure of the feelings he has for me so he had to make sure before marrying me.

"...I finally understood what Passenger meant by : 'only know you love her when you let her go' and I think he's right" he purses his lips and looks at me, devouring my soul with his beautiful eyes.

"But you seem to have forgotten that now it's too late son, Najma is a happy married girl"

Happy isn't the word I'd use anywhere close to my marriage with Ismael. Had it been I listened to my heart, none of this would've happened but Najma was busy wanting to forget Tariq, thinking Ismael is the solution.

"I wasn't happy with him mum"

"What do you mean ?" mum questions, shaking her head left and right with her brows furrowed.

"Ismael is not who you think he is" I mutter, avoiding eye contact with her then I feel Tariq's hand patting me on my back. I look up to him and he gives me a reassuring look.

"Elaborate please"

"He-he mum he- he is very" I suddenly start stuttering, unable to speak correctly then Tariq offers to talk and I nod.

"Mrs Maryam, what she means is Ismael is a bad person. I know much about him and nothing is good except for the fact that he never misses his prayers. Perhaps his prayers will guide him to the right path if he has a strong willpower. I'm no man to judge him but he's doing the exact opposite of what—"

"Honey, just go straight to the point please"

"He never loved Najma and he he abducted her today" Tariq looks down, avoiding eye contact with mum just like I did earlier.

"Come again please" I see mum's eyes darkening. Oh God, no please.

"He abducted Najma today but Alhamdoulillah we found her"

"Oh my baby what did he do to you ? Why didn't you tell me since the beginning ? Why didn't you run away ? Why baby ? Why ?" Mum fills the dinning room with questions as she comes by me, touching my face, my shoulders then pulling me close to her in a tight embrace and I start sobbing with her.

"It's all my fault, I'm sorry habibty, I'm really sorry"

"No no mum please no it isn't your fault"