Chapter 24

-The Way-

"Don't come back for me!"

Yeah, like hell, Din.

Aula shoved Leo into Cara's arms when she reached the control bridge. "Take him, I'm going back-" She fled without another word. 

She followed the sound of weapons ringing and smashing against each other back to where Din and Gideon were. When she arrived, she found Din holding the tip of the spear beneath Gideon's neck. 

"Are you okay?"

"How sweet," mocked Gideon. 

"Leo's safe."

"Good."

She lunged forward, but he caught her.  "Don't."

"You're not seriously keeping him alive, are you?" she cried. 

"Who are you?" Gideon asked her.

"I'm Aula."

"No, who are you?"

She didn't know how to answer, or what answer he was expecting. "Hmm, looks like you're wrong: you don't know everything." She looked to Din.  "We're a family. It just sort happened that way."

"What happened?" Bo asked when they entered the  bridge. Din held the blade  in one hand, scooping Leo up in the other.

"He brought him in alive, that's what happened," said Cara, satisfied with the turn of events. Bo, however, did not seem pleased at all.

"That's not what she's talking about," spoke-up Gideon. "Why don't you kill him now, and take it?" he suggested.

Cara grabbed his shoulder and shoved him down.

"It's yours now." Gideon was still smiling.

"What is?" Din asked.

"The Darksaber. It belongs to you."

Din deactivated the blade and handed it to Bo. "Now, it belongs to her." But Bo didn't move to take it. She didn't move at all.

"She can't take it." Gideon was clearly enjoying this. "It must be won in battle. In order for her to wield the Darksaber again, she would need to defeat you in combat."

"I yield, it's yours." Din extended his hand holding the saber again. But still, Bo did nothing. Said nothing, didn't move, her expression unreadable.

"Oh, no..." Gideon was chuckling. "It doesn't work that way. The Darksaber doesn't have power, the story does. Without that blade, she's a pretender to the throne."

Finally, Bo moved ever so slightly to look at Gideon. "He's right."

"Just take it," Din urged her.