Chapter 5

-A Good Life-

Mando recruited Cara to their cause and they were welcomed with open arms upon arrival, swarmed by the village children who immediately took a keen liking to the child, instantly welcoming him into their group.

One of the villagers, a woman named Omera, was kind enough to let them stay in her house - the huts were small so it was very generous. She showed them to their makeshift rooms before giving them some space.

"I'll leave you and your child to get settled."

"Oh-" Aula didn't want to embarrass the sweet woman, but felt it was best to tell her the truth. "He's not actually our child, we're all just travelling companions."

"Oh-" Omera blushed and looked down. "Excuse me, I shouldn't have assumed-"

"Please don't be embarrassed, it's an honest mistake. Thank you, for everything." She smiled.

Omera smiled back and left them to get settled.

Mando didn't have a lot of belongings - neither of them did - so he settled in quickly. Then he went to go check on Aula. He tapped at the wooden divider. 

"Come in."

"Oh - excuse me." He turned away as soon as he saw her.

She was wearing her pants, but on top all she had on was a wrap covering her chest, the rest of her upper body exposed. He could see the muscles rippling beneath her sun-kissed skin.

"What's the matter?" she asked him, completely oblivious.

"I didn't realize you were changing-"

"Oh, this? I'm not, I'm just finally warm enough here not to have to wear so many damn layers!" She chuckled at this. "Shorts and tops like these were the common dress back home. It never rained there, was never anything but baking hot!"

"You mean that's all you would wear?"

"Yeah, it was so hot we couldn't have too many layers. Thank you for being so respectful though - I appreciate it. Many are not." Then it hit her. "Oh Stars - does this make you uncomfortable? I didn't even think about that-"

"No, no," he assured her. "Thank you, you're very considerate, but dress however you are comfortable. Don't worry about me. I'm the one living by the code, not you."

"Okay, thanks. Did I overhear you tell Omera that you haven't taken off your helmet since you were her daughter's age?"

"Around that age, yes. And not in front of anyone."

"Wow," she breathed.

Before she could question him further, there was a knock at the hut door. They turned to see Omera's young daughter, Winta, standing there shyly. "Excuse me," she said to Aula. "May we braid your hair?"