Chapter 26

-The Reveal-

"You're sure you want to do this?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Because you don't have to, you know.  As much as I want to see you, I don't have to. I just, I know this is a big step for you - a huge step-" 

He cupped her face in his gloved hands in reassurance. "I know you know, and I am truly thankful for how respectful you've always been. I know you don't understand everything about my Creed, but you're still respectful."

"I try my best."

"I know, and I appreciate it more than you know.  And yes, I am sure about this - I've never wanted to remove it in front of anyone, not until now."

"Oh, Din-"

"Until Leo, until you. My aliit, my family."

"'Aliit'. I like that."

They sat out in the courtyard with the drinks Maz had  prepared for them, leaving their table free for someone else to use.  The sun over Takodana had just begun to set, bathing everything it touched in a soft, warm light, including them. It set her already flame-like hair blazing, and the  fading light sparkled off of the beskar of Din's armour. 

"You're sure?" she continued to press.  "I'm sorry, I know I keep asking, I just want you to be sure. I'm truly honoured that you want to show yourself to me, but I don't want you to regret it later..."

"Hey, I won't," he assured her.  "Taking you on as my companion was one of the best things to ever happen to me."

"I agree. I was one of the best things to happen to you," she joked. This made them both laugh.  "It was one of the best things to happen to me, too."

"I trust you."

"I trust you, too."

They moved from sitting side-by-side so that she was sitting in front of him, facing him. 

"I'm ready when you are," she said gently, not wanting to rush this, or rush him. 

First he removed his gloves and pressed their bare palms together, entwining their fingers. This was fine, easy, they had been here before. It was familiar enough for both of them. His palm and fingers were rough from all the work he did, but not as rough as she thought they might be. Maybe the gloves provided some protection as well as cover. In any case, while the skin of his hand was rough, his touch was gentle.

"This time you can take a good, long look."

"Oh, I plan to."

This time they were alone, and could enjoy this rare time together.