Chapter 27

-The First Next Step-

They lay there like that for a long time, neither really sure of how long, and neither caring, both content to savour the moment, this moment, together. The sun had set long ago and now two moons peered down at them from the sky. 

However, Din sprang into action suddenly, rolling over and whipping out his blaster, blocking her with his body.

Then she heard it: a rustle in the bushes. She had long ago guessed that his helmet provided enhanced hearing. 

"Something's coming, stay down," he hissed.

True to his words, moments later, a figure emerged, approaching them.

"I take it you two will be spending the night," Maz said, eyeing Din and his blaster, large eyes blinking behind her goggles, hands on her hips.

"Sorry." He lowered the weapon. 

"And yes, that would be great.  Thanks Maz," said Aula. 

"You're welcome, Kiddo."

"We might be staying a little longer than that, while we figure out what to do next," the red-head admitted. 

"That's fine by me."

It was nice to crawl into the bed Maz had prepared for them.  Their sleeping arrangements on the Crest  had been a little awkward. Awkward in the sense that with the ship being small and therefore with little space inside, the sleeping area was small in itself, even smaller, with little other space to sleep (unless you wanted to sleep next to the toilet - no thank you, very much). So they would take turns alternating each night or so, one sleeping on the cot, Leo sleeping above hanging in his hammock Din had fashioned for him, and the other sleeping on the floor in a pile of blankets that had been assembled into a make-shift bed. Not great either way, but at least it was something. 

But now, this night, they fell asleep in a soft, warm bed.  They fell asleep that night together, with their foreheads pressed together in a Kov'nyn, in a Keldabe kiss. 

-------------------------------------------------

When Aula awoke the next morning she found Din already up and sitting on the edge of the bed, staring down at the dark saber, his newly-acquired weapon and bestowal of the title as ruler of Mandalore. 

Talk about pressure.

"What are you going to do with it?" She spoke gently as not to startle him. 

"Good question. That's what I'm trying to decide..." He turned it around in his gloved hand. 

"Well I'm with you, whatever you decide," she assured him.  "I think - I mean, I'm not really sure what ruling Mandalore encompasses."

He chuckled a little at this. "Neither do I."