Chapter 12

-The Deepfreeze- 

"The speeder is toast, we have to walk." He began picking up their scattered belongings. 

Aula continued to gawk back at him.  "How far is it?"

---------------------------------------

From his pouch, Leo whined. 

"Oh, don't you complain, kid, you don't even have to walk," she muttered. 

They trudged across the desert, carting their stuff with them, all the way back to where Peli and the Crest were waiting for them. 

"All right, here's the deal," Peli told them, not seeming too concerned with the whereabouts or state of her only speeder bike.  "A Mandalorian covert is close. It's in this sector, one system trailing. All I know is that the contact will lead you to them."

"How much will it cost me?"

"Well that's the great news: it's free."

"What's the bad news?"

"Nothing it's all great."

"Okay." 

"However, there is one thing-"

Lore sighed.  "Which is?"

"The contact wants passage to the system."

"Do you vouch for them?"

"On my life."

"Fine."

"And-" He whirled around to face her again. "No hyperdrive."

"You want me to travel sublight? Deal's off."

"It's one sector over."

"Moving fast is the only thing keeping us safe."

"These are mitigating circumstances."

"What do you mean 'mitigating'?"

Peli turned to the doorway of her mechanics shop where a woman who looked to be a frog-like creature was coming out.

Lore sighed.  "I'm not a taxi service."

"I know, I know, I hear you. But I can vouch for her."

"What's the cargo?" Lore nodded to the container being carried on the woman's back. 

Peli spoke to the lady in her language, really impressing Aula.  "It's her spawn.  She needs her eggs fertilized by the equinox." 

"And how does she go about that?" asked Aula.