Chapter 4

-One Becomes Two, Two Becomes Three- 

"Oh hey Mando, hey kid! Back so soon - forget something?" Aula asked when the metal man and sweet green child re-entered the cantina shortly after leaving. 

"Yeah, you."

"Oh-" His words surprised her, to say the least. 

"The kid wouldn't stop crying, I think it's cause he missed you."

"Aw really?" The kid did look puffy-eyed, and was cooing, reaching his small arms out to her. "It's okay, Sweetie."

"So what do you say? Want to come with us? I can't promise much, but-"

"I mean I'm in no rush with my package - I've got to wait for  the Jedi to find me, however that comes to be. But if you're okay with it, I'd love to come along."

"I'm okay with it, and I don't think this one will have it any other way."

She grinned.  "Well that settles it then."

"You will spend the night here, all of you," Maz called from behind the counter.  "I have spare rooms ready. Then you will be well-rested for tomorrow."

Aula smiled - after Mentor's death, she had feared that loneliness would be inflicting itself on her again. But it looked like she wasn't going to be alone for long, if at all. 

-----------------------------------------

"So they never take off the helmet?"

"Not in front of others."

Mando had taken the child to bed, so Aula sat at the bar, which had quieted down some, chatting with Maz. 

"What happens if they do?"

"I do not know for certain, child. All I know is that it is a step in keeping themselves distant from others."

"Sounds like a lonely life," Aula mused. 

"Yes, but it is their choice.  And not everyone who is alone is lonely."

"True.  I guess I've just gotten to know loneliness so well that I'd never want to feel it again - let alone self-inflicted. So if I ever come back here talking about being alone, remind me of what I said tonight."

Maz chuckled.  "I will, child.  I will."

-------------------------------------------

Having missed the sunset the night before, Aula awoke early the next morning to catch the sunrise. It was brilliant.

Part of her wanted to stay here forever - but Takodana would be waiting for her whenever her time with Mando and the child was over. First it was that adventure, and she couldn't wait.