Chapter 1

-The Companion-

"Okay kid, let's try to avoid something like that again." A vastly-outnumbered shootout with a baby in his arms. Said baby cooed, which he took as agreement. 

But this did throw a wrinkle in his plans - speaking of wrinkled, the wrinkled green baby he now had with him.  He had been hoping to move onto the next job, always onto the next thing, alone, but now here he was protecting this child, who he still knew very little about, and now had a second passenger. This had not been what he had signed up for when accepting this job, the mission to find and capture a dangerous fifty-year-old, who turned out to be a baby green bean. Of all the surprises he'd had in his life and career, this one was the most surprising. At least so far.

 He was going to need some extra supplies if the child would be travelling with him from now on - or at least for the near future - for he wasn't letting him out of his sight again. 

But first, they had to get as far from Nevarro as possible. 

This took them to a smaller planet, far North from where they had been. Here they landed - they would need some more fuel now too.

The baby was becoming squirmy, and so it seemed getting off the ship for a while would do them both some good. They would stock up on supplies and then figure out a plan for moving forward. 

Mando had no idea where they would go from here, but the galaxy was large and vast, so they would have plenty of options. 

It wasn't until the end of their collecting supplies that things took a turn. It took only a moment for Mando to realize the child was not following him. 

"Kid, where are you going? This way, Kid." But the kid only continued to walk down the alleyway. Mando sighed - more of a groan - and followed. 

It seemed like the kid was following something, but if he was, Mando couldn't see what it was, couldn't see anything that would be drawing the little bean this way. 

Suddenly, the kid stopped.

Above them, a chase was happening on the flat rooftops of the huts surrounding them. It looked like one or two people were being chased by many. The kid gurgled and pointed upwards - well, at least they'd found the subject of his curiosity. 

Mando scooped him up and continued on, holding the kid with one hand and leaving the other on his blaster, just in case. 

There was the sound of a blaster shot, and then that shot striking something, followed by a cry of,

"NO!"

One of those being chased had been shot, causing them to fall from the low roof to the ground below.