Chapter 18

-The Friendship-

"Okay, you ready?"

"Oh you betcha! You'd better believe it! Let's do this!"

Din had attached straps to his jetpack so Aula could give it a try.

"Now remember, I have the controls."

"Yeah, I know, I know, cause you don't want me blasting myself around and ruining your jetpack."

"Or you getting hurt."

"That too.  What's it called again?"

"A Rising Phoenix."

"So cool!"

"Okay, I'm going to start you off smooth and slow."

She was practically bouncing on her toes she was so excited.  "Okay - I'm so ready!"

He pressed a button on his gauntlet and the jetpack hummed to life, slowly lifting her off the ground.

She gave him the biggest smile, which he returned from beneath his helmet.

He rose her up a little further so she could float around a little. She was clearly having the time of her life. 

"I'm flying!"

"Yes you are." With her bright red hair, she resembled a phoenix.  "Okay, easy on the landing-"

"WAAAAA!" She swooped downward - taking him out  as she went.

They were knocked back and landed on the ground, she on his chest.

"Sorry about that - thanks for breaking my fall, though."

"Yeah, anytime..." he groaned.

------------------------------------

"Are we here already?" From the way he had made it sound, Corvus was a long way away yet. 

"Not yet. I realized while scanning our route that there's a stop we should make first."

"Oh, okay. What is it?"

There was a playful note to his voice. "You'll see."

"Okay, I'm intrigued." 

He watched her face closely as they landed, eager to see her expression.

It didn't disappoint. 

Her jaw dropped.  "That's-"

"Yes."

The ship had barely landed before she was opening the door and leaping out.

Rain. Sheets of it all around her, for as far as the eye could see.