Annabeth- Chapter 17

Start from the beginning

WEEEW!!!!!

Annabeth felt a searing pain in her shoulder and tears came to her eyes. A shadow settled itself over Annabeth. She screamed for help to invisible people. She cried, expecting an inexistent love to hug her and comfort her. She didn't want to accept that she was alone. But she was.

The claws of the stymphalian bird grabbed her arms and lifted her in the air.

"HOW ON HADES DID YOU SON OF A STUPID GORGON MADE IT THROUGH THE STUPID TREES?! LET ME GO OR I'LL SEND YOU STRAIGHT INTO TARTARUS YOU IDIOT, IMBECILE, SON OF YOUR—" Her leg hit a branch. "OUCH! STOP IT!" Annabeth tried to reach for her backpack. She couldn't. She grabbed for her knife, but she didn't reach either. Okay, okay, Annabeth. Cool down. You're a daughter of Athena. "You've got wisdom!!!"

SQUEAK? the bird inquired

"I WASNT'T TALKING TO YOU MORON!" Agh. Annabeth, focus, she scolded herself. Stymphalian birds are not very clever, are they?So go on, trick it.

"HEY! MORON! HAVE YOU GOT ANY OFFSPRING? I BET THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL!" The birds claws squeezed her arms more tightly, but Annabeth resisted. "I'M SURE OF IT! REALLY! I MEAN, I BET OLYMPUS SHOULD HAVE YOU AS GUARDIANS, WITH YOU BEING SO BRAVE AND SKILLFUL AND ALL THAT STUFF that people say to flatter...?"She lowered her voice as she thought to herself. Gold. Bells. Bronze. All right Annabeth! You've got your own mind to work, finally! She knew the legends that talked about the task that had been given to Hercules, and later passed to the Argonauts: Hercules had to kill them all. He wouldn't have survived if Athena hadn't helped him. Being the godess of wisdom and all, she thought a little more than a guy that was mostly muscles. Athena gave Hercules a bell to scare the Stymphalian birds. While they fled, Hercules killed most of them. The rest met the Argonauts. All Annabeth had to find was a bell or a way to make the sound. If only she could reach her backpack...

"Hummm... BIRDIE!!! YOU REMEMBER HERCULES, RIGHT? WELL, HE'S ALIVE! AND HE WANTS TO KILL YOU!"

Squeak?

"YES! HE... HE CALLED A FRIEND TO HELP HIM! I FOUND A MAP OF THEIR LOCATION! WANNA SEE?"

SQUEEEEAAAAAK!!!

Annabeth barely had time to get on her feet when the bird crashed to the ground and laid her on the floor. Two seconds later, it was in front of her, looking her in the eyes very intently.

Squeak.

To Annabeth, it sounded mostly like SPEAK. It wanted her to show him the map. What it didn't know, was that Annabeth didn't have it. It didn't even exist.

"Oh, I'll show you. Just give me a sec." She took off her backpack and searched for her Klean Kanteen: The Original BPA-free, Stainless Steel Bottle.

SQUEAK! the bird warned.

"I'm just looking for it. It's inside my bottle, you see?" She opened it and left the cap on the floor. The bird bent its head to see what was inside. Annabeth backed up a few steps. "Ah ah."

An angry squeak was the reaction to Annabeth's move. The bird spread its wings, but Annabeth almost smiled. She unsheathed her knife and hit the edge against metal bottle several times. BANG BANG BANG!

The sound of a bell made the bird crazy. It backed up and almost tumbled with its own wings. He started shooting feathers madly against Annabeth. She dodged them like a worthy demigod and, with her bag on her back and her knife in hand, she jumped on the Stymphalian bird's back.

Recommendation: never expect a monster to fly like a first-class jet. Birdie undertook a mad flight to nowhere. Annabeth held on the bird's neck, cussing like she was in an extreme roller coaster, just ten thousand times worse. Just imagine.

She was just about to bury the knife deep into the bird's skin, when common sense told her to look down. A wave of nausea rushed over her. The trees looked so tiny... The bird took a sharp turn in the air, almost knocking Annabeth down. A feather buried itself in Annabeth's calf, leaving her in searing pain. But she held still.

"Ohhhh that. IS. ENOUGH!" She hit the neck of Birdie with the hilt of her knife as hard as she could. Stupid Birdie did another flip in midair. Things were more or less like that for what seemed hours. Annabeth's limbs had gone numb, but she still held on Stupid Birdie's back. She was getting tired of this, and somehow, she knew Birdie was taking her to somewhere, and that his destination was now very close. She couldn't afford to be taken so simply like that, into a monsters hole. In a rush of rage, she buried her knife deep into Birdie's neck.

SQUEAKPFFFFFFFF!!!

All right. When reason came back to her senses, she realized it had been a very stupid thing to do. But it was too late now. Annabeth freefell surrounded by monster slime and feathers that buried in her skin, straight into the tiny green spot far below that might be a forest. She screamed and grabbed for something to hold on to. But there was only air, feathers, venom, and her backpack.

She screamed her lungs out, but it was worthless. The last thing she knew, she slammed straight into the woods. She felt a searing pain thrilling her whole body.

Then... she blacked out.