Chapter 127

Bargain

"HARRY!" Hermione screamed.

Figures on broomsticks were flying past the windows. As the four of us looked away from Mr. Lovegood, he drew his wand. Harry realized that and launched himself sideways, showing Ron, Hermione and I out of harm's way as Xenophilius's Stunning Spell soared across the room and hit the Erumpent horn.

There was a colossal explosion. The sound of it seemed to blow the room apart: Fragments of wood and paper and rubble flew in all directions, along with an impenetrable cloud of thick white dust. I flew through the air, and then crashed on the hard floor, unable to see as debris rained upon me, my arms over my head. I heard Hermione's scream, Ron's yell, and a series of sickening metallic thuds, which made me figure out that Xenophilius had been blasted off his feet and fallen backward down the spiral stairs.

I tried my best to stand up, I could barely breathe or see because of the dust. Half of the ceiling had fallen in, and the end of Luna's bed was hanging through the hole.

The door downstairs crashed open.

"Didn't I tell you there was no need to hurry, Travers?" said a rough voice. "Didn't I tell you this nutter was just raving as usual?"

There was a bang ang a scream of pain from Xenophilius.

"No...no...upstairs...Potter!" uttered Mr. Lovegood.

"I told you last week, Lovegood, we weren't coming back for anything less than some solid information! Remember last week? When you wanted to swap your daughter for that stupid bleeding headdress? And a week before" — another bang, another squel — "when you thought we'd give her back if you offered us proof there are Crumple — Headed — Snorkacks?'

"No — no — I beg you!" sobbed Xenophilius. "It really is Potter! Really!"

"And now it turns out you only called us here to try and blow us up!" roared the Death Eater, and there was a volley of bangs interspersed with squeals of agony from Xenophilius.

"The place looks like it's about to fall in, Selwyn," said a cool second voice, echoing up the mangled staircase. "The stairs are completely blocked. Could try clearing it? Might bring the place down."

"You lying piece of filth," shouted the wizard named Selwyn. "You've never seen Potter in your life, have you? Thought you'd lure us here to kill us, did you? And you think you'll get your girl back like this?"

"I swear....I swear....Potter's upstairs!"

"Homenum revelio," said the voice at the foot of the stairs.

I gasped, and I felt an odd sensation that something was swooping low over me, immersing my body in its shadow.

"There's someone up there all right, Selwyn," said the second man sharply.

"It's Potter, I tell you, it's Potter! Black is also there, Renee Black!" sobbed Xenophilius, my heart raced. "Please...please...give me Luna, just let me have Luna...."

"You can have your little girl, Lovegood," said Selwyn, "if you get up those stairs and bring me down Harry Potter. But if this is a plot, if it's a trick, if you've got an accomplice waiting up there to ambush us, we'll see if we can spare a bit of your daughter for you to bury."