54: Bonding Over Books

Start from the beginning

He nodded, knowingly. “Finnian did bring the most to the table.” he said of one of the characters, obviously having read the book. “Zonnen made him develop well for a side character and really added life to the Travelers that wouldn’t have been there otherwise.”

I nodded with a smile. “You’re right. He’s the main reason I felt they were more real than the others.”

“Less distant.” he agreed and returned the smile, his deep brown eyes shining from beneath his shaggy black hair as he extended his hands towards me. “I’m Lucas.”

“Isadora.” I returned his introduction and shook his hand.

He watched as I put back the book I’d been scanning. “Looking for anything in particular? You could call me a bit of a bookworm so I know a fair deal.”

“Anything good.” I laughed lightly. “I’ll read anything that’s well written.”

“Don’t confine yourself to a genre?”

“No, I like to read with an open mind. Can never learn what you like if you don’t sample a little of everything.”

Lucas smiled at me again. “Well I have some great ones I could suggest to you if you’d like?”

I nodded. I was always in search of a new good book. It was the only thing that I’d been able to distract myself with at nights so I didn’t fantasize about Collin or worry about the weird state my body was going through. “I’d appreciate it.”

“There’s a few that come to mind. Against Black Suns is one I just finished reading I think you might enjoy. I can show you to it?”

“Oh, I’m actually here with someone.” I admitted. “I promised him I’d wait for him to get back.”

He gave me another smile and nodded. “Your brother, I noticed.”

Why did everyone seem to think that I was of relation to Collin or something? We didn’t act like we were father and daughter or brother and sister or anything for that matter. I mean friends I could understand, since we were that. I kept the annoyance from coming to my face and opened my mouth to correct him but he continued talking before I could.

“I’m sure he won’t mind. I’ll make sure to have you back here once I show you the section. He won’t even realize you’re gone.”

“He’s actually not my-“ I started to say.

The words caught in my throat as a warm strong hand wrapped round my own. “Sorry I took so long Isa.” Collin apologized as a tingle shot down my arm and through my fingertips into his hand which caused him to squeeze my right hand gently in response. “It took me a little to find what I was looking for.”

My cheeks flushed as I stuttered, “That’s all right.” Something as simple as holding hands had caused my entire body to warm and tingle slightly. I was surprised I wasn’t glowing or causing heat waves to show in the air around me.