hidden truths

"Ms. Sparks, a moment if you will." Professor Lupin asked me to stay after class. When my friends looked to me for an answer why I shrugged.

"Do you know who I am to you?" Lupin asked. I shook my head.

"I'm very good friends with your mother. She and I used to study in the library in our school days here." he informed me.

I realized that's where I had recognized his name from. He was one of the few friends my mom would always spend time with!

"I had thought your name sounded familiar and could't place where I had known it, sir." I said to him.

"To be honest with you your mother has written me telling me that you have just found out recently about you marriage." Lupin said.

"I'm sorry sir. I just don't feel like it's fair. I have recently written them." I said.

"It's an old tradition. To be frank I'm surprised your mother went along with it."Lupin said.

"Really? She seemed very supportive of my dad. I'm quite surprised to hear you say that. Weren't they arranged?" I asked.

"I'm not sure, Amber. I hope that you won't hold this against them. It has been family tradition for so long. I'm quite proud of them for getting past their parents ideas about blood purity." Lupin said to me.

I nodded. We finished our tea and I thanked him. I needed to find out more about the marriage. I went in search of the person who might be able to answer my questions. I stood in front of his common room pacing. I didn't know the password and didn't want to talk to the Slytherins at that moment.

"Sparks, what are you doing here?"I turned around when I hear a voice I don't recognize.

"Waiting for Malfoy.." I say to the boy. I wasn't sure who he was.

"I'll go get him for you, yeah?" the boy offered.

"Okay. Who are you again?"  I asked sheepishly.

"Zabini." he said smiling and shaking his head.

After a few moments Draco had come out looking like he had just woken up. He came and touched my arm gently.

"What is it? Are you okay?" he asked sounding concerned.

"I need to talk to you..." I started.

"Come in. We can talk in my room." Draco said.

We walked through his common room and got strange looks from lots of people. Draco shot them dirty looks and they returned to what they had previously been doing. It surprised me how much power he held over his clasmates. When we got to his room I noticed a fire place. It was decorated in silver and green. It was very clean which surprised me.

"I'd expected your room to be a bit messier." I say.

"I don't think you came to talk to me about my cleaning habits, Sparks."Draco retorted.

"You're right...I just have some questions about this marriage buisness." I say unsure of where to start. What a common pattern for me.

"I can try my best to help you, love." Draco said gently grabbing my hands sitting across from me.

"Well, did our parents have arranged marriages?" I asked.

"They did. They like to start the buisness early. Some people don't know until later, though." he explained.

"When did you learn about it?"

"I've always known. My parents don't normally treat girls as kindly as they do you." he told me as he cheeks began to blush.

"They were very kind to me, even your dad. Do you agree with it?" I asked him. I stared into his grey eyes. His room smelled of mint and green apples. It invaded my nostrils the moment I walked in. I was looking straight at him now.

"I've never thought otherwise. You've just been it for me." he said as if it was his choice.

"You've never fancied anyone else?"I asked.

"I don't really focus on other women. I focus more on pleasing that wretcched father of mine and my studies."he said breaking our eye contact.

I nodded and sat with him quietly. How can he just accept all of it? He just puts me on a peddle stool because his parents says he has to? I excused myself and he told me he'd like to see me agian and I nodded. I did miss our short lived friendship. I owuldn't have passed if he didn't help me.

I ran to the owlery to write to my parents. I would hope that they would write back quickly to answer more.

Dear Dad and Mom,

I have so many questions.. I don't know where to begin. I'd appreciate you answering them. I'm sure I'll have many more but to start...

1. When were you two set up?
2. Why haven't you invited Mr. Lupin over.. like ever?
3. How are you?

Love,

Amber

p.s. I love you..

The owl gladly went off into the sky with my letter. I sighed. What was done was done and I needed to go study. I went then to the library and sat with Hermione. She showed me a book on werewolves which was this weeks assignment from Snape. He had filled in for Lupin last week when he was sick. I wished he hadn't. Snape never treated me differently from other students so I had yet to ask him about his relationship with my father. It seemed like a silent understanding between the two of us.

Once we had finished up Hermione and I went back to our common room to get ready for bed. It had been an exhausting day. I changed and laid down. I hoped tomorrow would be better.