Chapter 22

*Days Prior*

"What's the hold up? Where is Erwin and his men? The damn Military Police will show up before they do. That'd be our luck. They are probably taking a shit, duty calls, right?" Levi said as he drank his tea.

"You're oddly talkative today." Eren said taking a sip of his tea.

"Don't be stupid, I talk plenty." Levi said finishing his tea.

There was silence. Eren kept on drinking tea. The silence was broken when Commander Erwin walked in.

"Sorry for the wait." Erwin said.

Eren took a sip of his tea and looked to Erwin's direction. He saw Jean, Mikasa, and Armin.

"We believe we've uncovered the Female Titan's true identity. She won't slip away this time." Erwin stated.

Erwin then laid down a map and explained the plan.

"The day after tomorrow, we will be passing through Stohess District in route to the capital. That is where we will strike. It will be our first and only chance to strike. Once we set foot into the Interior, the government will assume custody of Eren and the Scouts authority to continue operations will be limited. If we wish to conceit defeat, we must flush the enemy out now." Erwin stated.

Eren nodded.

"So, this is what we'll do. While in Stohess, we use Eren as bait and lure the target in an underground passage. The deeper the better. If we lure her well beneath the city, she will be immobilized even in Titan form. If she transforms above ground, then the responsibility will be yours to take care of." Erwin stated.

"So, will she be in Stohess by the time we get there?" Eren asked.

"Yes, our target is a member of the Military Police." Erwin responded.

"I see." Eren simply said.

"Armin here identified her. She was likely responsible for the death of Hanji's test subjects and a fellow trainee in the 104th Cadet Corps." Erwin said.

Eren then looked down and remembered his fight with the Female Titan.

"Huh, I think I know who the Female Titan is. Based on my fight with her and the striking resemblance. I'm quite certain the Female Titan is Annie...Annie Leonhardt." Eren said.

Armin was shocked.

"Yes, you're precisely right." Erwin said.

*Present*

Armin, Eren, and Mikasa where in the underground tunnel taking cover. Armin was panicking while Eren and Mikasa were on guard. The Female Titan's hand then reached inside the tunnel.

"Shit." Eren grabbed Armin and began running further into the tunnel.

"Damn it...that ring. She must have known I was lying to her from the very beginning. She knew we were leading her into a trap. I should have taken a different approach." Armin shouted.

"Save the regrets for later. What do we do now?" Mikasa questioned.

Eren kept looking forward but still listened.

"First, let's rendezvous with Squad 3 and then get above ground. We'll follow plan B, that means we fight her out in the open. She's all yours, Eren. Got it?" Armin explained.

"Right." Eren said.

The trio then saw squad 3. Armin told them to switch to plan B. Squad 3 then got crushed by the Female Titan's foot. Debris and dust flew everyone, they all covered their eyes. The trio backed away to get out the Female Titan's view.

"Does she not care if she kills Eren?" Mikasa questioned.

"She took a chance. It was a risky one, but she gambled that Eren would survive. She's backed into a corner; she'll be hard to beat. She's desperate, that makes her that the more dangerous." Armin said as he ran back to the tunnel's entrance.

Eren and Mikasa followed. Armin then came to a halt where the trio began to strategize.

"What should we do? We're cut off. Even if we try to escape with our 3DMG, she'll be there waiting for us. If we stay here, it'll only be a matter of time until she crushes us!" Armin explained.

"You two, get out of here." Eren simply said. Armin and Mikasa grew shocked.

What?" Armin asked.

"Get out of here. She's after me. You two can escape. I'll be fine." Eren said.

"Can't you just shield us like you did with the HE projectile?" Armin questioned.

"It's too risky. You two could get hurt. Even if it works, we'll be stuck underneath all this rubble." Eren responded.

"Don't tell me...Are you sure you are not having second thoughts about Annie? It's her, the Female Titan. After everything you've seen, do you think it might be a mistake that Annie is the Female Titan? What did we see, just then? She's a murder. This isn't complicated." Mikasa said coldly. She was inching closer to Eren's face with wide eyes.

"Tch. Get off my back. I never said anything like that." Eren responded in an even colder tone. Mikasa continued.

"It's Annie. You know you must fight. Unless there is something deeper keeping you from it." Mikasa added.

"Did you not hear what I just said? I didn't say anything like that." Eren said once more.

"You can almost smell it. I fail to understand why. At a time like this." Eren thought. Eren could hear it in her voice. The jealousy.

"I know what we have to do..." Armin said as he drew his blades.

"Mikasa and I will exit from the separate entrances. We'll follow what you said, Eren. We'll buy time while you prepare yourself." Armin said then ran off. Mikasa then also ran off.

"Right. Just don't get yourself killed out there." Eren shouted.

"Be prepared. I won't hold back. I'll humiliate you.... Annie." Eren thought. The only thing Eren wanted is revenge.