Chapter 10

Eren, Mikasa, and the rest of the elite squad were running to their position.

"A top-secret human weapon, was it? As long as you can seal that hole, it does not matter. Our priority is to protect you. We're counting on you." Ian, a higher-up, said.

"Yes sir!" Eren responded.

Eren continued, Mikasa by his side.

"Eren, how are you feeling?" Mikasa asked.

"I'm doing fine, much better than being surrounded." Eren responded.

"If you say so." Mikasa responded.

They continued to run in silence. Until Rico spoke.

"Listen Jaeger. During this operation, more than a few will die. For you. They will be fellow ranked both above and below us. As soldiers, they are prepared to die, of course. But they are not pawns without a voice. They have names and families. And all the feelings that those entail. Today Jaeger, many will die for you. You have the responsibility to ensure that their deaths will not be in vain. Never let yourself forget that. And be prepared to die for that responsibility." Rico stated.

"I'm willing to die for the sake of humanity. Without hesitation. I will not let their death be in vain. I'm willing to take that responsibility." Eren said.

"Well said." Rico said.

The squad soon reached their position and jumped. Eren moved quickly to the where the boulder is using his 3DMG. Once he got near the boulder, Eren transformed. The elite squad stood back amazed. A bolt of lightning struck and there stood Eren. Eren walked toward the boulder and started to lift it. Mikasa was on a building nearby.

"I doubt a human of that size could lift that boulder. But I believe Eren has the strength to lead us forward." Mikasa thought to herself.

Eren was now heading to the gate with the boulder on his back. His squad following behind killing the titans heading for him. Everything was going well until Eren started to get lightheaded. He tried to ignore it, but it just kept on getting worse. Eren couldn't take anymore and dropped the boulder on himself. The elite squad was shocked and Mikasa was scared that she lost Eren.

"EREN" Mikasa shouted

"HELP, PLEASE HELP GET THIS BOULDER OFF OF HIM." Mikasa shouted.

The elite squad was shocked and did not know what do. They all thought the plan was falling apart. Rico shot a red smoke signal.

Eren on the other hand, was fully conscious under the boulder.

"What... am I doing? I... I let them down. No. I cannot give up. I must fight for their sake and for my own. That is why I will keep on moving forward helping those who I love. Those who I need. Those who need me. I won't let you down." Eren monologued.

Eren's eyes shot open and started to lift the boulder once more. His pep-talk gave him the strength and courage to move. The elite squad took quick note of Eren. They were shocked, the mission was not over yet. Mikasa was busy slaying titans until she felt heat being radiated from where the boulder is. Mikasa's eyes widened and a tear started to form on her eye.

"EREN." Mikasa shouted.

"MIKASA" Armin shouted from behind her.

"Can you believe it? He is doing it, Mikasa. He is lifting the boulder." Armin said with a smile stretch across his face.

"Yeah, I know." Mikasa said not taking her eyes off Eren.

There was an aura of steam surrounding Eren as walked with the boulder on his back. With each step, Eren kept getting closer and closer to the gate. Eren once more began monologuing.

"From the time we are born, we are free... It does not matter how strong those who deny us that freedom are... Flaming water.... Frozen earth... I do not care what it is! Those who sees them will be the freest person in the world! I will continue to fight. For them. For me. And for future generation!" Eren thought.

"GO, EREN!" Armin shouted with determination.

Eren then let out a roar and smashed the boulder into the destroyed gate. Armin had a tear well up in his eyes and so did Mikasa. Rico dropped to the floor.

"Everyone. You didn't die in vain." Rico said with tears in her eyes and then shot a yellow smoke signal indicating that the mission was accomplished.

"Today, for the first time, humanity has defeated the titans!" Rico said.

Eren then ripped himself out of his titan and was falling through the air. He was about to hit the ground until someone caught him. Eren was now on the floor in Mikasa's arms. She was hugging Eren tightly. Eren returned the hug but was so out of it that he could not return it equally.

"I'm so glad you're okay." Mikasa said tearing up.

"Yeah" Eren said.

Armin then came running to them and grabbed his arm.

"Eren, are you okay?" Armin asked worried.

"I'm fine, just exhausted." Eren responded in a quiet tone.

The trio then heard thumps on the ground and looked up to see two titans walking toward them. Rico and Mikasa got ready to attack but were beaten to the punch. The two titans soon fell to the ground and there stood a man. A man with a cape with the Wings of Freedom. The man turned to them.

"Hey brats. What's going on here?" Levi asked.

*Time Skip*

Eren woke up to the sound of chains. He looked up to see that he was chained up in cell. In front of him stood Commander Erwin Smith and Captain Levi.

"Any questions?" Erwin asked.

"Where...am I?" Eren asked confused.

"As you can see, it's an underground jail cell. The Military Police has retained custody of you. We only recently received permission to speak to you." Erwin told Eren.

Eren then looked down to the chains on his hands but noticed that Commander Erwin was holding up a key.

"That key. You got that from me." Eren said.

"Yes. You can have it back later. The basement of your home in Shinganshina, Doctor Jaeger's house holds the answers to the mystery of the Titans. Is that it?" Erwin asked.

"Yes sir. I think so. I know just as much as you." Eren responded.

"You have amnesia, and your dad's missing. Pretty convenient." Levi said.

"Levi. We already reached the conclusion that he has no reason to lie. There is still so much we do not know. But right now, we need to ask what you want to do." Erwin said.

"What I want to do?" Eren asked.

"To get to your home, we must retake Shinganshina and Wall Maria. The simplest and easiest way to seal the shattered gate would be to use your Titan Powers. It is likely that the Titans will determine our fate. The Armored and Colossal Titans are the same, in principle, as you. Your decision is the key. The key that can save humanity from despair." Erwin stated.

Eren looked down in silence.

"Answer the damn question, you piece of crap. What do you want to do?" Levi asked annoyed.

Eren then looked up.

"I want to join the Survey Corps and bring an end to those monstrosities." Eren said with determination.

"Oh. Not bad." Levi said as he walked up to Eren's cell.

"Erwin, I'll take responsibility for him. Convey that to the brass. It is not that I trust him. If he betrays us or loses control, I will kill him on the spot. They should not complain. Because only I could do it. I accept your request. You can join the Survey Corps." Levi said while looking straight at Eren.

Levi and Erwin soon walked away. Eren just sat on his bed chained up until he fell asleep.