Chapter 14

*Time Skip*

The new Survey Corps recruits were lined up by stables in front of a higher-up.

"Salute!" the higher-up said.

"I'm Squad Leader Ness. And this is Shallot, my horse. She has a thing for biting hair, so be careful if you do not want to go bald. Nice to meet you all." Ness said. As Ness finished speaking, his horse started nibbling at his hair.

Everyone was then moved to a room where Ness could explain Erwin's plan in detail. Armin was amazed by how complex and intricate the plan is. Erwin made sure everyone that will partake in the mission had a role to play. Soon, everyone knew their positions but Eren's position was unknown to everyone.

*Time Skip*

Eren and Squad Levi where in a field going over the plan.

"The Special Operations Squad will be here. Standing in the center of the last ranks." Gunther explained.

"We're pretty far back. I'm guessing it's the safest position in the formation." Eren said.

"Correct, we have better protection than the supply carts. This time, our goal is just to go out and return. This expedition will be short. It will serve as a practice run for our journey back into Shinganshina." Gunther added.

"I see." Eren simply said.

Gunther then started to roll the map.

"That's all our training for today. Prepare to go back." Gunther said.

Soon Squad Levi rode back to the Survey Corps Headquarters.

*Time Skip*

Eren and Squad Levi arrived back at the headquarters. Eren was in the stables cleaning because Captain Levi ordered him to. After Eren finished, he walked out to see Armin and Mikasa. Eren walked toward his friends in silence.

"Nice seeing you two here. Feels like it has been a long time." Eren said.

Armin and Mikasa both turned around.

"Eren" Mikasa said worried. Mikasa then launched herself into Eren's arms. Eren simply returned the embrace. Mikasa then pulled away and grabbed a hold of Eren's hand.

"Eren. have they mistreated you in any sort of way? Like investigating your body or psychological torture?" Mikasa said worried.

"No, the worse thing they've done to me is make me clean." Eren said trying to calm down Mikasa.

"That short guy took things too far. I'll make sure he pays for what he did to you." Mikasa said coldly.

"I'm sure you will, Mikasa. But I suggest you don't." Eren said looking out Mikasa.

Everyone then started to surround Eren.

"Hey, Eren." Connie said.

"It's been too long." Christa said.

"Hey. It is nice seeing all of you made up your minds. So, did Jean join the Military Police?" Eren asked.

Eren then heard someone footsteps behind him. He turned around to see Jean. Eren was perplexed that Jean joined the Survey Corps.

"I thought you'd join the Military Police." Eren said with a confused face.

Jean just stayed quiet. There was silence among the group until a higher-up called everyone over to get their uniforms. Everyone grabbed their uniforms and simultaneously put on the Wings of Freedom cloak. Eren just stood behind his friends with a smile on his face.

*Time Skip*

Everyone was in a warehouse catching up.

"Are you really..." Eren asked worried.

"Yes, we'll be participating in the mission." Mikasa said.

"Hey, Eren." someone said from behind them.

Everyone then turned to see Jean and waited for a response.

"I heard that you transformed into a Titan and dropped the boulder on yourself and killed some soldiers underneath. Mind filling us in?" Jean asked getting somewhat angered.

"You're wrong, Eren just had a reac-" Mikasa spoke but was then cut off.

"I wasn't talking to you... Now, Eren, answer the question." Jean ordered.

Everyone then turned to look at Eren. Eren was looking down in guilt. There only silence amongst everyone as they waited for a response from Eren. Eren then sighed and began to speak.

"Yes...I-I dropped the boulder..." Eren said with clear disappointment in his voice.

"But it wasn't intentional. That was my second time using my Titan Ability, I am not used to using it. I got light-headed. I tried to ignore it and continued to push forward, but before I knew it, I was on the floor." Eren added.

"Well, you heard it here first. Our fate and humanity's rest on his shoulder. We'll probably die just like Marco before he knows it." Jean said who was now facing the squad.

"Jean, what is the point on asking Eren these questions now?" Mikasa asked defending Eren.

"Listen, Mikasa. Not everyone here is like you. Willing to die for Eren's sake with nothing in return... We should know what we are dying for. Otherwise, we will hesitate when the time comes. We need a guarantee from him. Eren, show us that you're worth dying for, prove to us that our deaths won't be in vain." Jean said as he turned to look at Eren.

Everyone then diverted their attention back to Eren.

"Listen, I don't want none of you to throw your life away for 'my' sake. Make your own decisions do them for your sake. Do them for those you seek to help. And I promise that I will not let you down but, take that lightly. I'd rather prove it with my actions." Eren said finally looking up to his friends.