Chapter Forty Six - Stronger Than Heaven

[MAGNUS' APARTMENT]

[Magnus and Lilith are drinking tea in Magnus' office.]

Everyone looks worried.

MAGNUS: I would have sworn I knew every warlock in the city.

LILITH: Oh, I'm not from around here.

MAGNUS: And how is it that you heard about my services?

LILITH: A friend spoke of you. The late Ragnor Fell? I'm no slouch, but what I do need is beyond my level of expertise.

"How dare she say that she is a friend of Ragnors" snarled Magnus.

MAGNUS: Well, for a friend of Ragnor's, I would do just about anything. [rising] So, what exactly do you need?

LILITH: [rising] Well, I'm looking for something that could make a person fall out of love. [Magnus raises his eyebrows] Is that something you could do?

"To make you fall out of love with Clary" said Alec in realisation.

Everyone gasped.

MAGNUS: I can... but I don't recommend it. You see, heartache, in all its bittersweet torture, is almost always preferable to the alternative. My elixir would erase everything you've ever felt for the other person. It would be almost as if you've never loved at all.

LILITH: Well, it's actually not for me. It's for a former lover. A soldier. I've tried to get him to move on, but he's still madly in love. And his obsession is starting to distract him from his duties, and... Well, I worry what could happen if he can't focus on the task at hand.

Everyone glared at the screen.

MAGNUS: In the rare case, I suppose erasing love is actually an act of compassion.

[Lilith smiles and Magnus gets to work.]

"Oh my god, I am so sorry" said Magnus to Jace and Clary.

"Its fine" they both said.

"It is not your fault" said Clary softly.

MAGNUS: An hour before he drinks this you must add one last ingredient: a tiny sliver of your soul.

LILITH: My soul? Why?

MAGNUS: Well, you are the object of his affection. In order for the elixir to work, it must contain a trace of you. You do know how to perform an extraction, don't you?

"Wait does that that mean she will try to extract a bit of my soul" said Clary.

"If she wants the potion to work than she will have to" said Magnus.

LILITH: [smiling] Of course.

[Magnus holds up a small bottle with a blue liquid inside. He snaps his fingers with his magic and the potion becomes a brighter blue. He hands the potion to Lilith.]

Magnus looks down.

"It is not your fault" said Alec softly.

LILITH: Thank you, Mr. Bane. You really are a true lifesaver.

[TITLE SCREEN]

[THE INSTITUTE, COURTYARD]

[Jace and Clary walk out on to the courtyard.]